What are the Pro's & Cons of adding washing up liquid to Cement or Plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Over the years I have come across, many a builder using washing liquid in Cement & Plaster & those that don't use it.

Some say they use it as it makes the plaster / cement a smoother finish

Some say it is never to be used & those that use it are glorified DIY'ers & are not qualified tradesmen

What are your thoughts

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Makes cement nice and creamy, don't use it anymore as I got told it reacts with the mix and breaks the mortar down quicker, don't know how true that is, but as the proper stuff is only cheap I use that. Never heard it being used in plaster though?

B J

FatHands likes this.
  3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Makes washing your hands off at the end of the day easier though!.

FatHands likes this.
  4. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

5. Welshdragon1

Hi gadget

So the use of Washing up liquid is a defo NO-NO

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Definitely no!........and anyway, the correct additive is probably cheaper.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Though washing up liquid does act as a plastercizer it contains a lot of salt, it's that, that's reacts with the cement and may cause problems down the line, I personally have used it before for little jobs and have never had any problems, but has been said, proper plastercizer isn't that expensive.

8. Always been told it can weaken the mix over time Eg goes all weak and crumbly so i have always used proper plasticiser just to be on the safe side

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I did my L1 in Bricklaying the tutor said that washing up liquid does not introduce a consistent aeration to the mix. Although I have seen bricklayers use washing up liquid when plasterciser was available.

10. Welshdragon1

Cheers Guys, much appreciated for your valuable input :)