What are these screws called and where can I find them?????

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by badgerchap, Apr 29, 2017.

1. badgerchap

badgerchap New Member

Hi,

I bought these screws a few years ago and they've been just about perfect for everything I've used them for, but I've no idea what they're called so I can't find them again! I think I originally bought them in B&Q, but I'm not certain. screw1.jpg

screw2.jpg

As you can see there's a second thread with a much steeper pitch. This helps them bite into the wood really nicely, so they're great in a tight spot where you can't get a good angle with a drill or driver.

I'm down to my last 2 now!

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    badgerchap likes this.
  3. badgerchap

badgerchap New Member

Lovely, I'll take a look, thanks!

4. badgerchap

badgerchap New Member

5. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Great screws! Shame you just missed them earlier in the week. They were a 'deal of the day' item.
    £16 for a 1000 screw mixed carry case.
    Hopefully they'll come up again.

PC Works likes this.
  6. badgerchap

badgerchap New Member

Haha, just my luck. To be fair though, I'm just pretty happy to find them!

7. PC Works

PC Works Member

What makes them so good? The way they grip the wood?

terrymac likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They are a good cheap and cheerful screw, start easily, not bad for not splitting the wood and hold well.

PC Works likes this.
  9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I like the Screwfix Turbo Gold screw as well. Not too expensive (unlike Spax). They drill and hold the wood nicely with a tight grip. Sometimes no need to pilot hole. Also reasonably rust proof. I left some out in the garden for 3 months on the floor - still no rust and look new.

After I used these I would never switch back to the very cheap Screwfix more standard screws called "Gold screw wood screws". They are weak, break easily and very poor thread which doesn't hold very well in wood.

Always Turbo Gold for general purpose is my everyday choice.