what board to use

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by marela, Dec 13, 2014.

1. marela

marela New Member

Hello everyone I have just had taken out a gas fire and I want to put a board over the hole that is left in the fireplace
    Which board should I use. Also should I tile the board first or attach to fireplace then tile thank you so much regards marela

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo and welcome marela :):):)

do you mean to cover the hole flush with the front or to line the holes for trinkets and candles ect

3. marela

marela New Member

No to cover the hole flush the fireplace is like marble tiles but the guy who took the fire away as just put a piece of tin in to block the hole I have bought some tiles to match

4. Pros and cons.

Cutting a board to fit neatly and tiling it before fitting means it can be removed without damage any time you want. Tiling the board after fitting usually means a more permanent fit, but possibly neater.

What board? Something that won't warp or flex excessively once fitted, so the tiles don't come loose. For a normal fireplace opening, I guess 12mm thick plywood would be the minimum?

A timber frame fitted inside the opening at the depth to allow the board to screw on at the required finished depth (inc tiles) would be your starting point, I reckon.

There is no reason why you cannot make this a removable panel by fitting it in temporarily place with something like a dob of sealant in a couple of places, cut and fit the tiles to suit, cut the temp sili bits through and remove the panel. Grout and refit with a neat bead of suitably-coloured sealant (eg the grout colour) all around its edge - that will both hold it in place and finish it off neatly. It can then be removed in the future by chust cutting around that sealant bead.

But, don't forget it should really incorporate a vent panel somewhere to keep your disused flue dry - it's common to suffer condensation/damp problems in the longer term.

Why not panel the 'roof' of your opening instead and keep the fireplace as an open feature - some trendy stuff in there with a few candles or even a nice lamp could provide a nice warm focal point?

5. marela

marela New Member

Thank you do or all your help regards Elaine