What can I do about kitchen floor being 6" higher than rest of floor?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by TREWL, Apr 19, 2016.

1. TREWL

TREWL New Member

Can anyone advise please ... We're thinking of linking our utility/kitchen but the kitchen is 6" higher than rest of ground floor. The kitchen and utility room have concrete floors, the rest is wooden. Can I do anything to level the floor? Or would we just have to have a step between the two parts of the room? Is there a reason the kitchen is so much higher? It is an old house - built about 1800. Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gone to have to live with a step I'm afraid, might be able to have slope instead if you have the distance to make it gentle & not too steep.
    No idea has to why one part is higher, other than, it might a later addition to original house, seen old houses with multiple levels on ground, first & attic floor, so nothing doesn't surprise me.

A few photo's would be useful, might see a solution.

3. TREWL

TREWL New Member

20160419_155905.jpg 20160419_155905.jpg 20160419_155928.jpg 20160419_161334.jpg I've taken some photos. One shows the step from hall into kitchen. Utility is behind kitchen so we'd put doorway through where cooker is. Other photo shows wall from utility side. We've looked behind the panelling and there's an old step and doorway. We'd hoped for one level.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't reckon you can do much about it unfortunately.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

20160419_155905.jpg

That's better.
    I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to bring the utility room up to level!

For the hall, how about extending the step right out across the hall and wider than the doorway too ? So you will fill that end completely with the raised floor and step down 2 or 3 feet further along the hall. That way, the step will be part of the hall, so more 'usual', and not in the doorway.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good idea, certianly safer.

7. TREWL

TREWL New Member

I like the idea of upping the level in hall but it's quite a big hall and has an outside door with step and a couple of cupboards ... same with utility room, the back door and doorway to dining room might be problems. I feel like we might have to just keep raising floors ... maybe we can lower the kitchen?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trouble with old houses they don't have proper foundations like modern houses,nasty things can happen digging out old floors,sometime resulting in underpinning being required, on digging out your kitchen floor,you might not had sufficent depth availble for subase, concrete to finish at same level as timber floor, so sometimes there as to be compromises, hence your floor is 6" higher than other floors.

I would leave well alone in this case.

9. TREWL

TREWL New Member

urgh ... underpinning ... our last house caused years of stress around insurance renewal time because of it. Very good point. We'll adapt different levels. Thank you