What can I use other than eggshell?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dolly mixture, Feb 13, 2017.

1. dolly mixture

dolly mixture New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I am decorating my bathroom then will be moving on to the rest of my flat.

I have used Dulux Bathroom+ Soft Sheen brilliant white on the ceiling and walls.

I want the skirting, door and radiator to look as matt as possible so don't want to use gloss paint.

I had thought on eggshell but have just had a look at the price of it and its really very expensive.

Is there anything else I can use instead of eggshell that will give a matt look and be able to be used on a radiator that will keep its colour and won't peel off the radiator without using radiator paint?

Thanks a lot

dolly

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi Dolly

Astra is the forums painting guru and Im sure he'll be along to chip in.

Unfortunately some paints are a bit pricey, but if the prep and undercoat are done corrrectly, then you often only need one topcoat, so a tin will go quite a long way...perhaps enough to do your flat. There are a few paints out there which are over priced, but unless you enjoy putting coat after coat on, it's generally worth paying for decent paint as it actually works out cheaper in the end.

Astramax likes this.
  3. dolly mixture

dolly mixture New Member

Yes I have found that a lot of them are really pricey but as you say the end result is what matters. I am trying to find one paint to do the radiator, skirting and door. thanks for your reply

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

dolly, eggshell is the recommended paint for the high humidity and steam conditions found in a bathroom, yes, Dulux paints can be expressed as 'expensive', are you using 'Dulux Trade' or the retail versions as found at the larger stores such as B & Q. Dulux QD Eggshell is waterbased and a good paint but I am sure places like Wickes sell Eggshell under the Wickes brand at a kinder price. Also after preparation of the woodwork you want to paint remember that most Eggshell paint is self undercoating ( read instructions) so a minimum of 2 coats should be applied. If you use the waterbased Eggshell apply it with a synthetic bristle brush for a better finish. You will be fine to use the Eggshell for the radiators, doors and trim.

CGN likes this.