What circular saw?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by changename-13782, Nov 10, 2005.

1. changename-13782

changename-13782 New Member

Hi - I'm looking to buy a cheap(ish) circular saw - don't need anything too fancy, just enough to cut floorboards at home, maybe cut a few plinths, and general DIY. That said, it'd be nice to get a decent powertool that might last a few years with reasonable power.

I bought an Erbauer 1500w saw as I was impressed with their 2100w router, but having received it, the laser doesn't line up straight (in fact, it doesn't line up with the aperture on the saw body). I need one this weekend, so thought about returning it and going for a Black and Decker 1600w, Ryobi or a similar 'unbranded' type over-the-counter rather than online.

Does anyone have experience with these cheaper models, or is it better to be patient and wait for a replacement Erbauer to be delivered? Or try ebay for a cordless DeWalt??

Thanks...

2. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

Hi,

I would stay well clear of Black and decker, Ryobi are slightly better but for a few quid more you can get a skill saw-skill saw
    Skill invented the circular saw and are now made by Bosch or so I have been told.

ultimatehandyman

3. nten

nten New Member

Don't bother with a cordless, they're less versatile in terms of depth. I've had a Makita for a while now, it's nicely engineered and goes through anything.

4. two by one

two by one New Member

Skillsaws are such a versatile piece of kit that it is worth having a good one. A 150mm size is easier to handle than a 190mm yet is ok for sizing sheets, ripping floorboards and so on. I used to have a green Bosch from Argos which took alot of hammer.

5. fanta

fanta New Member

Howzit Mark
    I have worked for a few people, using different saws doing carpentry in, England, Sweden and Australia now living back in RSA working for my self... any way the best circular saw I have ever used has been a: "worm drive Skill saw" do a search on the phrase and check it out. The prob is you probably wont find one in the UK and if you do it wont be cheap.

Sadly this doesn't help you, but i was wondering if there are other chipies out there that have used one before.

After using one of these saws going back to the conventional type is like using scissors to cutting a piece of paper with your left hand, from the far side of the paper coming towards you whilst hanging upside down. For anybody using a circular saw every day I’d look at getting one of these

6. hab

hab New Member

I'm sure Skil is now owned by Bosch and they make good saws.I have the "Orca" model and it is very good quality and value - I have seen it advertised for £80.But bear in mind that it does not have a riving knife.
    For some reason or other worm drive saws, although popular in the US, are not imported here because of health and safety regulations.I'm not sure of the implications of this if one is imported and used professionally.Can anyone comment on this?
    Regards,Hab

7. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Yup, Skill was originally an American company Founded by Edmond Micheal 1924, They made the fist electric handsaw. But was indeed bought by Bosch in 1996.

(tempted to say never been the same since, but nevermind)

Woody

8. changename-13782

changename-13782 New Member

Thanks Chaps - gone for the Skil Orca. On balance, probably the best tool for the job given the tight budget.

9. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I replaced my DeWalt DW62 with the Skil Orca, the skil is a much better tool

10. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

hi , Ive had a skil , classic for years now and would only change it to a festool plunge saw , but that isnt what your after anyway, but i love my skil saw very versitile bit of kit

11. kdedyal

kdedyal New Member

I was recommended Skil Orca by a professional carpenter and bought one from Screw fix. Since then I have done a lot of jobs where the saw was invaluable.

12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You're not trying to spam us are you vicki....
    If you are going to do it, at least spam on a current post, not an 11 year old one!!!!

longboat likes this.