What do you do when a Client says..........

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Whilst your here can you do me a favour & look at this , that & the other for me, which is not related to the job you are originally here for & quoted, but don't say, I would like it if you if you didn't charge me for this small job, which will turn out to be many a small job over time.

Now some of us can see where this is leading to, as the client, wants to use you to their advantage.

For regular clients I sometimes oblige depending what it is & if I can fit it in the time frame, other times I will say that I will have have to price the job.

New Clients I now always say, I can price it up but don't have the time today to get it done

How do you handle the client(s) that want those small jobs done for (FREE) (so to speak)

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If it is a simple job fine for regular customers, bit more wary of new customers, like the lady that asked me to look at the fence "it only wants a nail" the posts are rotten and a couple of panels swinging in the wind!

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I used to just do it, but now I charge for everything, just as they would. I've found that doing it for free doesn't lead to extra paid jobs. Lets just say you where asked to 'just do that for me', it's just a little job and something went wrong, not only where you not getting paid but you are going to have to deal with the problem now for free...

4. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

For regular longstanding customers not a problem to have a look and if I can do it there and then I will and add a few quid onto the price. If its a new customer then I tell them I'll have a look and give them a price.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I usually say that I will deal with all the jobs that I have been booked for and once I have been paid for those I will give a price for the rest, that encourages them to play fair.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

For my longer standing customers (and some friends) I'd do it out of courtesy, but for new customers I'd tell them it would be extra. Once had a woman ask me when I was replacing her front room floor (joists and all) if I could put locks into doors. I told her I could. Half hour later she came back with 5 x 5 lever mortice locks and told me "These are for all the bedroom doors and the kitchen door." and then just walked away. When I'd finished the floor. I left the job and called at her other house for payment and got the price agreed for the job. Two days later she phoned me up saying I'd agreed to fit the locks. When I told her that would be extra, she said "They were in with the price of the floor." o_Oo_O

7. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Yep there are some crafty characters out there, which keeps us on our toes,

Some must think the one trade, is all that is required to do allsorts

I had a similar thing with a friend (who now knows better) he asked if I could replace a few wall sockets with new brass effect ones in his living room, I agreed to do it on the usual mates rates, since it was only 4 double socket I gave him the quote in writing, then the cheeky sod wanted me to do the whole house after I started.

He didn't like it when he got the final bill, though, as I charged him full price for the rest of the house ;):D:D:D

Now he plays fair, since he has learned a valuable lesson :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):)