What do you use an impact driver for?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Yogi 575, May 6, 2016.

1. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

Hi,

What do you use an impact driver for? Do you use them as electric screwdrivers or are they for something completely different? If you can use them as screwdrivers, what’s the advantage over just a good quality electric screwdriver or a drill driver?

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes its a powerful screwdriver, the advantage is it drives the screws in a lot easier than a conventional electric/battery screwdriver, handy if using Heavy duty screws like you'd use in building stuff with sleepers etc.

3. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

Thanks Phil ... so are they a bit over the top for internal work like stud walls and kitchen fitting?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And with the correct adaptor, you can use them with 1/4",3/8" & even 1/2" socket sets with the larger impact driver.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not at at, they have a much higher torque than you usual cordless drill,as they are design for driving in screws, bolts, etc, rather than drilling.

6. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

Thanks KIAB, I think I need one .... well you can never have too many tools can you :)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bought a new Bosch combi drill a few months ago,& added a Bosch GDX18V-LI impact driver to the collection last month, will handle everything from M6 to M16.:eek: has insane torque.
    And the bit holder, combines 1/4" hex and 1/2" square, so very versatile.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One of those tools that once you start using it, you'll not want to be without. I've got a Bosch 10.8v twin pack which is just brilliant and perfect for the majority of work I do which is kitchens/bathrooms etc. Nice and light, powerful and not too bulky.

9. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What are you wanting to do with it?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

12. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

I'm restoring an old house and I'm building stud walls at the moment - I'm building the stud walls with screws. Then I've got to install a new kitchen - plus just about everything else in the house after that.

... so lots of woodscrews to drive home :)

13. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

Thanks CGN. I could be using it day in day out for a while, but only while the house is being restored. Plus I'm not in a hurry so I'll have plenty of time to recharge the batteries while the kettle is on :)

14. Yogi 575

Yogi 575 Member

Most of the screws I use are 70 - 80 mm, some 90 mm but normally nothing bigger

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

My little Bosch will drive in 100mm screws no prob, although I wouldn't want to be doing that all day with it. That dewalt has about another 50Nm of torque so you'll be fine.

16. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I bought a small Makita 240v impact driver to ply surface a timber floor,before it was tiled. Brilliant tool !!!! I still use a 10,8v for quick, light
    weight jobs such as fitting a door catch or hinge etc. It really is a case of "horses for courses". Both good for different jobs. :)

CGN likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You'll be fine with that, as said the batteries are low capacity but they charge quickly.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

They are a must have bit of kit, would be lost without mine.
    But their not always the best tool to use it depends on how many screws you need to drive and what length. If you've got a load of 2in and under that need fixing then impact it is, like floor boards etc. For decking with maybe 65mm screws would use a drill/driver cos its quicker.
    When the impact force kicks in the revs do drop quite a bit which makes it slower if you've got a lot of big screws to drive.
    For putting in drywall screws they are fantastic, faster than an autofeed driver when you find a rhythm.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What make is yours?

20. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I only do DIY now,so that's why I bought a 240v one. About 75 quid from the toolshop in Devon,so cheaper than a cordless one. ;)