What does contract door handles mean

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't think "contract" means anything other than these are all fairly cheap, standard but good value items. You get what you see and pay for.

3. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

In my experience when handles are listed as contract handles it usually just means a chrome or nickel finished,relatively cheap,reasonably good quality mass produced item that originally was aimed at people/builders looking at buying bulk quantities for larger jobs

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Paulie sums it up well. Same could be said for contract paint...available in white or magnolia, relatively cheap,reasonably good quality mass produced. Its just paint.

5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Hi Lemonade, the lads have given you a good summary of what contract door furniture means. Usually comes in plain white boxes in tens, brushed aluminium and they're functional. If you want something a bit more classy the big sheds usually have a selection as does our host. There is always an architectural iron monger if you want to go right up market but at the end of the day do what we all do and wait for something off a job or keep your eyes peeled for stock coming up at sales. Ebay sometimes works and so does Gumtree. Good luck.

6. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, Recently install these. The multi pack included hinges and tubular latches.
    A chrome bolt fixes thr' the single hole top and bottom on the handle plate, and clamps most securely to the internal wooden doors. I used polished chrome on my painted white doors and mahogany veneered doors. Certainly not 'contract' but most pleased with the quality. Can't see similar at Screwfix, but keep looking.
    A quality handle will last a lifetime, and takes the same amount of time and effort to fit as a cheaper one.

'You pays your money and you makes your choice.'

http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=bravo

SF please don't delete the link, as you don't stock these, thanks.

7. lemonade

lemonade Member

I want something cheap as they are only going on flush doors. I've had a look in b&q and the cheapest handles they had would cost me £54 for 9 doors.