What I could do with this leak?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bathleak, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

My bath tab leaks. My attempt to remove the silver out let (where you put the plug) keeps rotating and at the edges see pink gravel like cement seeps but would not screw off.
    attached photos and a you tube link will show you my problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

[​IMG]

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Best way to fix that is to get a new pop up bath waste kit and replace the lot.
    Use plumbers mate on the seals to assist in leak prevention.
    Mastic is for muppets ;)

ramseyman and tore81 like this.
  4. I thought Plumber's Mate was mastic. I use silicone these days to good effect.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plumber's Mate is old school now Dave.:eek::D

And it is a mastic.:)

Using Plumbers Gold here.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Its a Putty!!!!!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::oops::oops::oops:

A epoxy putty, long time since I've used it, is my excuse.:oops:

8. Dave does Gas

At least you can undo a fitting without having to spend the next half hour scraping off the cr*p left behind by those who insist on taking the easy option

Silicone or mastic same thing really call it what you want, you still have to wait for it to go off before you can prove a sink/bath.

Plumbers mate never sets but forms a good seal, may be old school but so is solder

ramseyman likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you undone that nut(with wide chisel) in the middle ? The grid bit pulls out once that is undone.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

Thank you to all.
    Hello HandyAndy, That is where I am stuck. I am unable to remove that dreaded nut in the middle-Tried big screwdriver with no avail. In the process of removing this is going to break it -That is fine -But how could I go about removing that screw in the middle of that picture?
    I would very greatly value opinions.

I am happy to buy a new pop up unit.

Regards

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use a 5p coin and a pair of pliers

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I see your problem bathleak, the slot in that screw is not deep enough to get a purchace on it, I'd saw though the whole waste just under the bath and renew it all, A resipitating saw will cut it like a hot knife throu butter,

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you are going to replace it all, try turning the chrome waste with a pair of pliers, seeing if it loosens the screw enough to remove it with a screwdriver.

Grip it where one of the Red lines are.

2016-01-26 23.22.29.jpg

14. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

The chrome waste keeps rotating. I could see some pinkish cement likevmaterisl seeps between the chrome waste and bath tab. The centre screw refuses to budge.

Tried a 5p coin and a penny coin both got bent but the screw stay stubborn.

I don't have that saw mentioned in above post!!!

15. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

I have to driil through that central screw to remove and replaced with a new pop up waste.

16. Bathleak

Bathleak New Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I dislike pop up wastes, they rarely last very long. You will need to replace the kit, and its a relative simple job. Unless the kit tells you to use silicone then don't bother as the rubber seals are more than enough give a water tight seal. Silicone can cause leaks as it often prevents the washers making a good seal with the bath.

18. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Leaded????

19. Dave does Gas

Never