What is it called

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Deleted member 164349, Mar 8, 2017.

1. I am looking for a specific type of nut. M8 and m10 thread.

I want it to slide into a hole to become a semi captive nut for a bolt to drop into.

So it is standwrd thread on inside, but smooth round outside. Like a conventional tube nut, but the other way round (thread on inside).

What are they called? Only need about 20 of each but struggling to find any. Had some from a while ago and used them all and cant remember what they are called or where to get them.

Please ?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Do you mean Rivet Nuts.

aklmprimary.jpg

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Pretty damn close thanks.

I don't need them splined, smooth would be ideal, but thats the type.

Thank you

4. Now, what about the same thing, but not threaded, so just a sleeve with a collar ?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

6. Trev tdr

Trev tdr New Member

Like the long bolt with a tubed nut that fasten wooden bed frames together?

7. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

8. Thats pretty much the things, thanks.

It is a metal square section frame that I am building and bolting together, but I dont want any nuts sticking out, so dropping 1 of those nuts into a hole allows it to be bolted together neatly.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions though.

9. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

You'll need a rivnut 'gun' for those :)

10. Why do you say that? That site was out of stock, but led me to some.

What am I missing?

The method I use, is to drill a hole to the size required and push 1in, hold it into place and tighten bolt up to secure.

Not sure of the need for rivnut gun

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

They act like a pop rivet. The gun has a threaded mandrel which pulls the backside of the nut towards the workpiece creating a second flange which sandwiches the workpiece. Captive nuts without welding. I may not have explained that very well I'm afraid.

12. Its ok, I understand that.

I dont need mine fully captive though.

They would normally be used for bolting into from the inserted side. I am using them to bolt into from behind so they be semi captive and work as needed.

Although making them permanently fixed wouldn't hurt, it's not essential in my case.

But might get a gun anyway.

Thanks

13. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Ok, I see what you're doing now :) just got to get your depths right. They're not going to get very tight with that method though are they.

14. Tight enough for what i need though.

It is a semi rigid structure, no strength needed, just the ability to join frames together and remove as needed and dismantle when finished etc.

If you imagine a temporary barrier type system, used to display artwork and adverts etc, able to be made to be any shape (right angled or straight only), and can be taken down and stored easy, and only takes minutes to build or dismantle. All made from thin wall square section and round tubes. All bolted and collapsible for minimal storage space.

Very unusual requirement, but a system I made and does what is needed, and not stupidly expensive.

P J Thompson likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What about the things they use for racking electronics?

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member