what is the max size i can build a garage without planning permission

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mackie2412, May 23, 2006.

1. mackie2412

mackie2412 New Member

what is the maximum size ie--height and width i can build a garage without needing planning permission?

2. hayl

hayl New Member

When the building inspector came to inspect my extension and garage, he asked how big the garage was, I told hime 24m square. He said that he doesn't get involved with anything smaller than 30m square. I can also recall my architect saying that I want need to apply for planning if the ext was under a certain size, and I think this was also around the 30m square mark. I'm not 100% sure though.

3. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Permitted development under planning is as follows:

You will need approval if:
    Any of the building or structure is between the original house and the highway, unless there would remain at least 20 metres between the new building/structure and any highway.
    More than half the area of land around the original house would be covered by additions or other buildings.
    The building/structure is to be used for non-domestic purposes.
    Where the building to be constructed or provided would have a cubic content greater than 10 cubic metres, any part of it would be within 5 metres of any part of the dwellinghouse
    The building/structure is to be more than 3metres high (4m if it has a ridged roof).

A quick sketch and conversation with the planning department will confirm if permission is required.

Building regs is another issue Exemptions for garages are as follows:

A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building -

(a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
    (b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

I do go on-and on some times

Cheers - jonah

4. building control

building control New Member

I do go on-and on some times

but you are correct, it can have a timber/felt roof, but the walls must be non-combustible