What is this? Photos attached

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MoTem, Jul 20, 2016.

1. MoTem

MoTem Member

I got an indoor aerial which said to be 4G, I guess it is kind of a booster? It does improve the receiption compare with a basic indoor aerial but sometimes get interupted. Is loft aerial same as 4G indoor aerial? or it is a traditional roof aerial but put in the loft? Don't laugh at me...I don't have a clue :eek:)

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That looks like a Virgn media point, (formelry NTL, telecential). I remeber you could still get the terrestial chanesl from the cable i.e 1-5.

The flat may have a communaul mast, if renting bestto get permission from landlord, some may do this for free if you ask

4. MoTem

MoTem Member

5. MoTem

MoTem Member

I don't think someone still paying Virgin...
    Thank you guys all anyway!

6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

It's definitely an NTL Cable Tel isolator, I fitted plenty of them in the past.

The black cable is the external cable that is pulled to a street cabinet via an underground duct network.

Typically when disconnected you snip the cable end of at the cabinet this killing the signal,though sometimes this didnt happen.

You could get a cheap fly lead with F connector end and connect to the isolator and male plug end and stick into the tv, you may get channels 1-5, though this may have changed when the signal changed from analogue to digital.

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

If you want the technical name it's a Triss 120, it's the demarcation point between the internal and external wiring for a cable tv (Virgin) network.Now I used to work for them and when they went digital there was an interesting situation arose.If you got one of the old Scientific Atlanta boxes (small black with orange front) and connected it up,although you didn't get any normal channels coming through for some reason you got several premium channels FOC,there was a mad market for these boxes several years ago,one day people were throwing them in the rubbish and the next they were fetching about thirty quid on the car boot.At the end of the day there is always a signal coming down the cable,it's the equipment on the end that the provider either blocks or unlocks according to what channels you subscribe to,there are even some (cracked) boxes being sold that you connect up and they give you all the channels,when I was at VM there was a big investigation in Yorkshire and an Asian bloke and about 20 of our techs were charged with various offences related to the theft and (cracking) of these boxes.

8. MoTem

MoTem Member

Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense, that stuff looks very old, should be like NTL era.
    I tried to use connector and plug the other end into the tv, no luck, I think as you said, it might have change after singal changed to digital from analogue...

9. MoTem

MoTem Member

Thanks for your informtaion. Actually I'm a tech idiot! I don't have much time to watch tv, so don't want to pay for subscribtion, just want normal free channels if to buy a aerial put in the loft will do the job?!