What is this pipe going straight into the ground?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Matt_H, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi All,

Whilst rooting around under the floorboards I noticed a pipe that is going straight into the ground.

Please see the attached photos.

The pipe is cold to the touch.

It goes straight into the ground without any sheath or protection.

What is this pipe? Is it ok to be going straight into the ground without any protection? Will it not rust and then fail?

The soil in the corner where this pipe is feels slghtly damp - I'm not sure if this is from the pipe or rain water ingress through the foundations.

Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where is the other end going?

Could be water, doubt it's gas,but you never know.:rolleyes:

CGN likes this.
  3. Hold a thin stick against it and t'other in yer luggie, and see if it makes a hissing sound when a cold mains tap is turned on.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As Kiab has said, where does other end go?

May be discarded/disconnected...certainly very old looking at that compression joint. Be careful that there's not any old asbestos pipe lagging kicking around in the vicinity...you don't want to be disturbing that!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wear a mask if you go mooching around the crawl space.

6. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Difficult to see where the other end goes as it goes under a different room that is difficult to access.

I'm pretty sure it's not gas.

I suspect it could be water.

If so, should it be going under ground with no lagging?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Where is your stop cock? What type of pipe feeds it? If its not incoming, are there any out buildings it could be feeding?

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats a 'borrowers' escape tunnel!

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Neighbors meter bypass!:D

koolpc likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In fact it could be gas, it's galvanised iron, rather similar to the disused old gas pipe, I just remember we have in cupboard here.

Joe95 likes this.
  11. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Whatever it is...is it ok going into the ground with no lagging. Is it something I should be worried about? Will the pipe rust and fail?

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

And compression was common practice in years gone. There was an old cooker feed to the upstairs hall here(pretty sure old owners had lodgers) and that was all compression.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Make tracing it the first priority, then work out from there. You don't want to be messing with it if its gas.

14. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

It most likely will rust and fail, if it's damp maybe it has already - be careful about disturbing it, could turn a problem into a crisis. Had a similar situation in my house, couldn't access the pipe, ended up running new plastic to bypass the connection to the pipe. When we got the old pipe out it fell apart, almost no metal left. We were pretty lucky to be able to get a connection onto the metal without it disintegrating.

15. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi All,

The pipe appears to be the main water pipe into our house as it leads up to the stop cock and makes a noise when a cold water tap is running.

So is this a problem...if so do I contact a plumber or the water board and is it going to be a big/expensive job?

Thanks
    Matt

16. It will de copper where the compression fitting is but could be wiped onto lead further on where you cannot see it.
    If it was an iron/steel pipe it would not have a compression fitting on it as it would have a screwed thread and coupler.

17. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi Deleted member 11267 does that mean it's not a problem?

The soil in the corner where the pipe goes into the ground feels slightly damp - although it could potentially be water coming in through the foundations.

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Do you have a water meter fitted Matt? Sometimes they are fitted before the in house stop tap. If so, take readings with everything switched off before going to bed and see if there are any changes in the morning. May give an idea if you have a leak.

19. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

could be a water main or even what was known as town gas. how old is the property

20. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

House was built in 1930s

I'm pretty sure it is the main water supply pipe.

I will do the water meter test.

Is it normal for the supply pipe to come straight out of the ground with no trunking?