What is this thing...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Jun 26, 2016.

1. under my Nan's kitchen sink?

It is fitted after the mains stopcock, before the cold mains splits off to taps and stuff.

Is it chust a type of filter, or is it a pressure reducing valve?

I ask 'cos I'd like to replace it with a PRV - pressure too high, causing weird things with cisterns (and even blew out the safety ball in there leccy shower!)

Ta much.

Nan's mains.jpg

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It looks like one of these, dont know its purpose.

A compression in line Y filter

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Yup - that looks like the baby :)

Thanks, Jit.

A general water filter, then, to protect the combi boiler and other valves, I guess.

Now to find a PRV that fits in the same space :rolleyes:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at Altecnic pressure reducing valve, it has 22 mm compression connections with 22 x 15 reducing adaptors included.

5. christatt

christatt New Member

Its a peach candle pal. Pretty damn special when you need a relaxation session.

Any questions please ask.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You could use them rubber gloves

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Devils needs a nice hot bath with bubbles.

upload_2016-6-26_21-8-39.jpeg

8. IT IS NOT MY KITCHEN!!!

sheeeesh...

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll check out that Altecnic and compare it with SF's Honeywell model.

(Whichever one is more likely to slot right in :) )

9. The Altecnic model KIAB (good luck, mate :() suggested is the same as the Caleffi of the same model number, isn't it?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like there are some models with and without a pressure gauge.

It may not just slot, some pipework may need altering, looks like 22mm pipe

11. It's 22mm and has a gauge and is a good make.

I'm goin' for it... :)

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't forget to add photos of your little project in 'Project Photos' ;)

13. Pffft - so's you can laugh again at the content of my Nan's kitchen cupboard? :rolleyes:

Sparkielev likes this.
  14. Ok, I fitted a Caleffi PRV there a few weeks back and it certainly makes the system run more smoothly, and it also means Nan can have the stopcock fully open so's the flow is actually better (before she'd control the 'pressure' by tweaking the stopcock shut...).

One problem - when they flush one of their loos which has a conventional ball-float valve, the PRV starts to hum very loudly - you can hear it in every room. I thought it was the rubber disc in the cistern inlet valve first, but - lid off - that's quiet. Tho' when you pull the float up it stops the noise.

Then I looked under the kitchen sink - sure enough the vibs were coming from the valve. And you can feel it vibrating - humming - when you touch it.

What the hell? It's only this cistern valve that causes it to vibe.

It's set at the factory setting - a tad under 3 bar.

15. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

16. Thanks Phil.

Yes, I guess it could be. A strange one, tho' - it was really 'buzzing' noticeably - and it was from the PRV itself.

I've emailed Caleffi and they are trying to come up with some ideas. They did suggest that a very high upstream pressure might cause it.

I'd be cheesed off if Nan only started having water hammer after reducing the supply pressure... :oops: