What is this!?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Rachel Morgan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've recently bought a house and on the walls of the smallest bedroom are these brown spot like stains (picture included).

So my question is, what are they!? And how do I get rid of them!? I'm currently trying to decorate the room by painting over the wallpaper however they show right through.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it on an open fire chimney breast?

3. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

No it's along two walls - these are outer walls.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have the walls been re rendered and plastered?

5. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Not recently. The lady we bought the house from said it hadn't been decorated for a while.

6. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

No it isn't, the chimney breast is on the other side of the house.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You may have to strip an area of wallpaper off to see if this is behind the wallpaper, another method is to paint both walls with 2 coats of Zinsser Cover Stain prior to applying the finish you require. Could be as simple as something has splashed onto the paper.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Ok brilliant will give that a go and hope for the best! Thankyou for your help!

Astramax likes this.
  9. Mrmatt

Mrmatt New Member

Could be absolutely anything to be honest.

I recently decorated an old couples house which was pretty much pristine...applied first coat and small brown stains appeared. Turns out they had dropped a cup of coffee and although they wiped it off part of it had somehow sunk into the surface which then deactivated once painted.

You if it's only a small area then try shellac Zinnser in a spray can...or for a bigger area but a tin of it and roll it on.

Allow to dry then carry on painting as usual.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Interesting, I think I may have the same small brown spots on my bedroom wall. The house was previously owned by an old lady, central heating was installed only 6 years ago and the house had metal crittal windows until recently. My guess is its due to damp/condensation.

11. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Well turns out storm Doris had a part to play, pulling off part of the wallpaper revealed the corner or the room was wet. Aparantly a few slates are cracked and the cement blown away leaving that section of the roof not watertight. A nice expensive job for us. Fortunatly we've caught it early so better to pay hundreds now than thousands later - trying to look for a silver lining.

However the roofer said that it hasn't caused the brown dots on the two walls. So I'm just going to go with the idea that something may well have splashed onto the wall. And attempt to decorate over it using the products recommended.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I did a quick google and some people were suggesting its insect poo or pee of a sort. You could try sugar soap and hot water (with rubber gloves on) to see if that shifts it or at least gets the worst off.

Rachel Morgan likes this.
  13. Mrmatt

Mrmatt New Member

Funny you should say that. Tiny brown spots on the wall in a dark colour...don't rub it with your finger

It's probably fly poo

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Blood splatter possibly ?

When you moved in was the bedroom carpet missing, new patio or a freshly dug section in the garden ? ;)

P. Gee and nigel willson like this.
  15. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

After the previous response, I googled fly poop. And the marks seem to be slightly different. But definitely won't be rubbing my fingers in it regardless! Haha!

16. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Aww don't! My other half said the same thing. Funnily enough the carpets had been professionally cleaned but she said it was to try and get the smell of smoke out! Haha!

17. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

This is what the little marks look like when you attempt to paint over them.

Any further suggestions would be gladly appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you used the Zinsser Cover Stain? Looks like grease or oil, wipe it over with a solvent.

19. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Was the previous occupant a smoker? Could be nicotine stains if that's the case.

20. Rachel Morgan

Rachel Morgan New Member

Yes the previous owner was a habitual smoker by the looks of the curtains and blinds she left.

However these marks are only in the small back bedroom and are not in the main bedroom which you would of imagined the previous owner used.

Hoping the use of the recommended cover stain will solve the issue.