What Jigsaw

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stop cock, Jun 11, 2006.

1. stop cock

stop cock New Member

Are there any special requirements to the specification of a jigsaw for cutting through 38mm laminate worktop. My black & decker seems to be making alot of hard work.

2. bernieeccles

bernieeccles Member

if it's the usual DIY Black and Decker then I'm not surprised it won't cut through your worktop,because they are rubbish and give jigsaws a bad name.

You need one with a pendulum action,personally I use Bosch professional jigsaws though there are others that will do the job.

3. russ295

russ295 New Member

good blades are a must also!

4. !!

!! Active Member

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/FT101BR||jigsaw~blades~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|17|

these are good blades, don't force the jigsaw too much load blunts the blades quicker and I find spraying the blades with WD40 makes the job a bit easier.

As for a good jigsaw I'd look for one that claims to be able to cut at least 90mm in timber

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

6. Mof

Mof Guest

Get yourself a Bosch profesional (blue colour)they are not expensive and are the best you can get. If you use good blades you can cut worktops with upward cutting blades and still have very very little damage to the laminate.

7. stop cock

stop cock New Member

Thanks for your advice. I actually bought a perfomance pro from B&Q today for £50 and it works well even on 38mm worktop.
    One last thing though, is there a secret to handling 38mm or should it be a two man job?

8. Boff

Boff New Member

To be honest I'd take the B&Q **** back and spend a bit more on a decent tool unless you don't intend on using it again. You should be able to get a good jigsaw for £100. I've got an Atlas Copco and a Milwaukee (virtually same tool) and both are great. Bosch make good jigsaws too as stated above. For the daddy of them you want a Festool but they're not cheap. Go for Bosch blades as well if possible although again the Festool are supposed to be great but pricey.

As for handling the worktops if they're 3m which I guess they are as 38mm tends to be Wilsonart from the sheds then you can wrestle it about with some success but it makes life easier to have 2 of you.

9. !!

!! Active Member

The blades I recommended are reverse cut ones it's the photo thats wrong on the website, didn't realise sorry

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> Get yourself a Bosch profesional (blue colour)they
    are not expensive and are the best you can get.

:O

;)

11. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

12. Kitchen Makeover

Kitchen Makeover New Member

Get yourself a Bosch profesional (blue
    colour)they
    [/i]are not expensive and are the best you can
    get.

:O

;)

nah festool, anyday the total dogz...

13. Scrit*

Scrit* New Member

"One last thing though, is there a secret to handling 38mm?"

Three Wheetabix....... or a little helper!

14. Mof

Mof Guest

Well yes sinewave the hilti stuff I have used has all been top class, not seen the hilti jigsaw but it will be a good un. Bonzo I have used the Makita jig saw,obviously you have not used a Bosch jigsaw.

15. STGO

STGO New Member

my jigsaw cost 5.99 from wickes (true, it was a barcode error) and with a new blade every time it slices 38millers no bother. ;)

16. lefty

lefty New Member

bosch GST2000 best jigsaw in the world for the money . only use T144D BLADES and nothing else .

17. gint

gint Member

i agree with lefty on the blades but only use dewalt 18v cordless jigsaw, the new type has more power and can use anywhere. just pull a lever at front to change blade.

18. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

I just bought a GST200o from ebay last week as some scrote nicked all my tools.
    Only £72.00 new from some where in Scotland. I have to say it's lots better than my DeWalt which was twice the price and just blew dust in my eyes. It could do with a plastic base. though, and I use the progressor blades which cut like a hot knife through butter.

19. lefty

lefty New Member

Bosch GST2000 cant go wrong , had mine for 3 yrs now . Its used daily and never gives me a spot of bother .superb bit of kit .

20. redhotbot1

redhotbot1 New Member

makita 720w is the best. i regret replacing the one that went missing from my van with the dewalt 701w. use a downward cutting blade if cutting laminate face up.