What kind of fencing is this, and can it be moved?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Our back garden backs onto a forestry commision run park type thing, it's really just an overgrown dog toilet, but they decided to put a 7ft green metal fence around the perimiter, but whoever did it seems to have done it in a wavy zig zag pattern and I am needing to replace my back fence which is next to this green metal fence. At one end, the gap is about a foot and the other end it is 2.5+feet. I am going to go up to the metal fence with my concrete and wooden fence, but the middle post on the metal fence comes close to my fence, so I would not have a straight line.

I've drawn roughly how it is now and how I want it to be. To get it as I need it to be, I'd have to dig out one of the metal posts and move it about 6-12 inches out.

What I want to know is, is it just a case of digging round the concreteted in post and then push it where I need it to go and then fill with new concrete once in place? The metal mesh used is held on by some weird fasteners, looks like anti tamper screws, so if I can dig round the post and push it over, then that would be preferable.

Doable? Cheers! fence-plan.jpg fence-plan.jpg

2. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a photo of fence & those fasteners,trying to visualize the type of fence you got.

Should be able to move it as you said,might need to brute strength & a long pry bar.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Sorry mate, it was saying the pics were too big so had to resize :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks, it's VerticalMesh / Eco Profile Mesh with antii climb spikes on the top, fastener are known as Mesh Lok Security fasteners.

upload_2017-7-8_17-46-54.jpeg

Use to use a Hilti type nail gun which uses a blank cartridge to drive nail into steel post in the old days.

And a linky: http://www.securityfastenersandfixings.co.uk/Info/mesh-loc-13.aspx

Very unlikely you could pull them out.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

It would be a handy if I could get these off and back on again, but I guess they aren't made to come off and back on?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I posted another pic of the ones that are on, they look different. Might you know anything about them? cheers for the help!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Monkey Chops likes this.
  11. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Indeed, I can't work out how they work, unless the last 10mm is tapped in?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Are those fixings used for the whole fence or just the corner, got not makers plate anywhere on those mesh panels.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Yes, they are the fixings right round the park. No manufacturer's name on the fencing that I can see.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could a type of NUTSERT set into the post, then bolt is screwed into that, can't think of anything else.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wonder if you could get mole grips on the blue clamp & there enough movement to get them over the mesh & back again after doing your work.

17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Just looking at the back of the posts, the bolt seems to go right through with some kind of nut on the back, I wonder if I can get the back nut off, if it'll release the bolt out of that housing?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: Now, that makes things a lot easier.:rolleyes:

NUTSERT,or a type of anti tamper cone nut, quite a few different ones around,the hex part shears off at a pre set tightness leaving the cone, easy to remove.

upload_2017-7-8_18-23-8.jpeg

upload_2017-7-8_18-25-27.jpeg

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo of the rear fixings.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it's a cone nut,& a lot of the others, it's easy to grind some flats on each edge to use mole grips to undo it.

Monkey Chops likes this.