What kind of fencing is this, and can it be moved?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, sorry for the delay, light was a bit poor for pictures 20170709_084046.jpg . Here's a pic of the cone shaped nut on the back.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops:

Cone security shear nut.:)

Easy job to move fence.:)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

All of the above considered (snap off nuts very common on security fencing) are you trying to steal some land that's not yours by taking advantage of the fence the forestry have put up. ??

chippie244 likes this.
  5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

No, these houses were built in the 1950s and next door and behind is a plot of land that had asbestos garages on. When we moved here in the late 90s, the garages were demolished and the asbestos left on the site, loads of it and hidden by 4ft weeds and grass, we had no idea it was asbestos at the time until we had the fence installed and the firm that did it wouldn't move any of the asbestos, for ovbious reasons. We also had dogs, so at the time, the council couldn't give a date for clearing the site, we needed a fence so took the easiest route which was to come back into our land with the fence. A few years later, houses were built on the land next to us and the land behind became a park. Our borders have always been miles out. We have recently agreed with our neighbours to reinstate the correct border to the side and the border at the back just requires that post moving slightly to get it right, so no thieving, just taking back what is mine with as little fuss as possible.

See first post in thread for diagram of how it is and how it should be. Literally 1ft at one end and 2.5ft at the other which at the moment is inside their current wonky boundary, I just need to move one of their posts slightly so that my boundary fence is straight and correct.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Steal:eek: just realigning a wonky boundary fence I say.o_O

Could even leave old concrete on post, dig new hole in font of post & slide post forward & no one will be any the wiser.:rolleyes:

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

And the reason I've not asked the forestry people is that 5 years ago I reported knotweed close to my house on their site and they still haven't done anything about it. So I wouldn't want to wait while they decide which year to come and have a look!

8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

This was my original idea, I just wasn't sure if the fastenings would allow for that kind of movement! :)

KIAB likes this.
  9. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Just dug down and the concrete ball under the metal post is huge, about 2ft wide at least and they've concreted it to my base panel. May have to go to plan b.

Plan b is...can a concrete and wood fence be slightly zig zagged as the metal one is in the first pic, and if so what kind of angles can you get away with, or does it look bad? Can't say I've ever seen a wooden fence like that?

Cheers :)

10. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Monkey Chops likes this.
  11. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

Have you checked that the post in question is not out of alignment for a reason? It looks like where you want to put the post is where common sense would dictate it should have gone in the first place so there could be an obstruction where you want to put it that caused the original installer to move it slightly (a big cobble/tree stump/service chamber).

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, yes, there's nothing obvious, but the post itself seems to have a 2ft wide base about 6 inches (ish) below ground level and then from the ground down to the big piece of concrete, there's a much narrower concrete collar about 8 inches wide, like it's been concreted twice? As far as I'm aware, there isn't anything under there as all the drains and cables exit the front of the house. It is old coal board land, but there's nothing where that is.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No capped off mine or ventilation shafts on that coal board land.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

There's loads mate, it's about 300 yards from a very big, early colliery and there are ventilation shafts all over the place, but there's nothing for at least 150 yards or so from my house. That said, it could be, I'll dig round it and see what I can unearth. If I don't reply back, I've fallen down a mineshaft :D

Edit: Also, the concrete looks to me no more than 2 ft wide, and I know the ventilation shafts here are quite wide.