What kind of plaster and how to paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by foxoles, Jan 4, 2017.

1. foxoles

foxoles New Member

Hi,
    Decorating a bedroom and found the wallpaper just peeled off taking the emulsion with it in patches.
    Scaped off the remaining paint, filled and sanded and thought I'd do a coat of Screwfix new plaster emulsion thinned with 10% water.
    The roller then started lifting off the paint I'd just put on in small patches.
    The plaster is quite granular, off white and quite soft - see picture. It was put on in the early 1990s.
    How do I deal with this?
    Thanks

Plaster.jpg

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Wallpaper,that's probably why it was papered originally, either that or sand the lot down,or get it skimmed, personally wallpaper would be the cheapest and quickest option.

3. foxoles

foxoles New Member

Hi Phil, it was me who first papered it - it was a painted wall to start with and I'd rather not paper it again.
    When sanded it stays quite "holey" and never gets smooth smooth like a thistle plaster, but the picture makes it look rougher than it actually is and is a close up.
    It's the grittiness that's weird almost like a white sand with very occasional sparkles in it like metal flake - anyone know what the plaster could be and why 10% thinned new plaster paint doesn't stick?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It doesn't stick probably because of wallpaper paste that has been absorbed by the plaster and re-activated again by the thinned down emulsion.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Prime the whole wall with an oil based Primer/Sealer.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Stixall the whole wall :p

7. foxoles

foxoles New Member

Are you sure that emulsion will adhere to the Stixall?:D

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Even after priming, sealing the wall and then painting, what's the finish gonna look like with that texture :eek:

Just depends what type of finish you want / expect ?

I guess the wall was papered for a reason .........

Could spend ages going over wall with filler, sanding, filler, sanding, feathering in all the edges, mist coat, then more filling, sanding etc ......

Or ........ fill the worst and sand
    Size walls
    Lining paper, min 1400 grade
    Dry and paint

Better finish, depending on papering skills of course :)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Primer/Sealer is one product, once painted on the wall it will dry and bind back the porous surface, you can lightly abrade the surface with 120 grit to remove the knibs leaving a reasonable surface ready for the un-thinned emulsion paint.