What makes a camper van a camper van

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by spen123, Apr 1, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I'm currently working away a lot and having to find digs. I have a Ford transit and was wonder about installing a bed and few other bits. But if I went to a site to stay would the van have to have anything in particular to be able to come into a site and be used as a camper van. I also assume I'd have to declare it as it's no longer just a Van?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The main criteria for the DVLA and insurance are the number of seats. One advantage of having a "multi purpose" vehicle is that the lower speed limit on non-motorway/ dual carriage way no longer applies.

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't change the seating. But insulate the back and put a bed in that I can remove. Do you need to have Windows in the rear?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You dirty old man! :p

5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Haha haha I'm not old

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Didn't dispute the dirty bit .....

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

That's why I don't want Windows hahaha

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

What about a very small caravan say 12ft.
    Everything in there, beds, kitchen, loo, fire.
    Simples.

Could also be classed as business use, hence an expense against tax.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you seen these - part caravan, part box trailer. Front bit is a kitchen (with WC) bunk beds, rear half you can use for tools, materials or bikes ;)

pages 18-20 of the first PDF

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/businessinabox/bespoke/?tab=brochures#tab

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

https://www.campervanlife.com/conversions/legal-information/

11. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

sospan, yes seen them. Also at a show couple years ago was a unit just like that.
    Was in excess of £40K
    A used 12ft caravan can be towed by his Van to a site and used during his work.
    Costs are just like a B&B on business.
    He can always sell it on if he dont like it, but I would think it would be a good idea.
    Keep the van for his work tools.

12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I dont font have trailer licence and don't fancy paying for one

13. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Having read the DVLA I might be as well to buy a cheap van and convert it properly. Don't want to properly convert my transit if I can help it. Seems beneficial to 're register as a motor caravan to

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Can but dream of owning one a unit like that. Always fancied a de-mountable camper for a pickup but they are so expensive over here compared to the US.

Caravan far better option than sleeping in a back of a van, done that so many times and blinking awful.

By the time you get another van, convert, tax, insure you may be better off at a Travel Lodge .... at least you will have a shower and proper toilet

15. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

No it's not the ideal option but it's all about cost. Pointless working away if half of it's spent on living costs. I might see if I can buy a caravan and leave it on a site. That way I don't need to worry about towing it around. Can't think it would be a huge expense for a pitch if the caravan was only small. Only other thing about a camper is here's no saying you can't sleep at a layby if I couldn't find a pitch one night