What material is this wall made of ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by conan_the_diy'er, Feb 27, 2017.

1. conan_the_diy'er

conan_the_diy'er New Member

Hi all
    I am after some advice on a partition wall that I removed recently. Of course, attaching a picture would help but it all went in the skip and disappeared :(

It was made of moulded panels which appear to be very light, almost white plaster/gypsum with straw reinforcement - not stramit , just a very small amount of straw. The panels measured approximately 4' x 1' x 2 inch and were tongue and grooved with crosshatching on the faces for plastering.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before ? I have tried googling all sorts of combinations but can't find anything

ta muchly

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maybe stramit type board,so many types of boards around in 60's & 70's

3. conan_the_diy'er

Hi
    The only Stramit board I have seen is mostly straw (over 90% ish) with some bonding material . These boards only had a small amount of straw , say less than 10%
    Are there any other types of Stramit board I need to look at ?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might even been a 'AIB'Asbestos Insulating Board, like Asbestolux use until early 80's with out seeing it, it's a job to tell what it was.

5. conan_the_diy'er

Hi
    Yes, I am trying to find out if these boards had any asbestos in them but all the Asbestos boards I have seen in examples are mostly 'thin' e.g. less than 1/2 inch for cladding whereas these panels are 2 inch thick perhaps more, designed (it seems) for partition wall building with the T&G.

I realise it is tricky without a picture ! but if I had realised I needed to do this I would have taken one !!

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Sounds like asbestos to me

7. conan_the_diy'er

Could you say why ? The consistency was very fine particles , like plasterboard. I didn't see any fibres so thought it did not contain asbestos but am interested in why you think it could be .
    ta

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

So you answered your own question then.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. conan_the_diy'er

@wiggy

No, I have now realised I don't know enough about asbestos to make that call. i started to doubt my own initial diagnosis when I found that asbestos can be added to plaster products so just wanted to know if anyone could set me on the right track to identify these panels so I know for sure. I didn't see any fibrous material but can't say for sure whether there was any there or not BUT if I can find out who manufactured them then that would help a lot.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you had a sample,& had it tested, then we would know what it was, asbestos was used in many, many building products, artex,floor tiles, right up until early 90's with some items.

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

It might be it might not be, there was asbestos in artex until the mid 80s
    Either way I don't see that it matters much now, a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.
    If I was you I would put it out of my mind and know that one day you will die of something.
    There are 2000 deaths a year from lung cancer because of asbestos, not a biggie in the scheme of things.

KIAB likes this.
  13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

According to your linky, there are currently in excess of 2,000 asbestos-related lung cancer deaths each year.

wiggy likes this.
  15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Its not worth worrying about, something will get you.
    I worked in the print for years with all the paper coatings creating dust and the chemicals.
    I knocked down an asbestos garage in my teens, before I knew what I was dealing with.
    I now cut carcinogenic timbers up for a living.
    I smoked since the age of 13. (not now)
    So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess my likely demise.

Or will it be the motorbike, or someone on the phone that runs my van off the road, or a heart attack, brain aneurism, choking on a nut, eating burnt toast, bacon ??????
    Do I worry about it? nooooo
    Whats done is done..