What options to close flue please?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bfrost, Aug 27, 2016.

1. bfrost

bfrost New Member

Hi, I've taken out a gas fire and fireplace and need to make good the wall in preparation for an electric fire. We are on the 2nd floor and there is a circular metal flue which passes through the wall and projects about 200 mm outside into a cage. It is now separated from the fire and shows as a concentric metal tube projecting into the room and it slides in and out. Obviously I'm reluctant to push it outside because that will leave a hole that I cant reach to make good so I'd like to work from inside to tidy it. What is the preferred option please? I see that I can pull it forward and saw it off and push it out back to its original location but damp might get back in so I'd be more comfortable closing it in some way. I've shown a photo if this helps. Any suggestions please?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your clever, you can brick up the outside opening from the inside.:eek:
    I'll do one course, let it dry,(stops you pushing out first wet course) then add the second course, then repeat for the inside wall, you can do this all in one go.

3. SC96

SC96 Member

Cut some of the flue so it doesn't stick out then use expanding foam around it leave it in place then fill the inside only option without having ladders

4. bfrost

bfrost New Member

Thank you both for your advice. Very kind.