What quantity of Wall Tiles will I Need?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stitch-up, Oct 13, 2015.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

So, SWMBO has decided the kitchen needs tiling, I guess as the walls have just been plastered, she has a point :)

she's chosen the tiles and they measure 30cms x 15cms

At present we have no units fitted so, assuming one length of wall is 2m 73cms long and will have base units and wall cupboards how can I calculate the tiles required? Is there a standard for wall cupboard height above the kitchen top and how high is the top surface from the floor?

Is it normal to tile just below the level of the kitchen top (work surface) and slightly higher than the bottom of the wall units?

As you can tell, I'm a newbie so any advice appreciated.

Cheers

John

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually I go for 600mm up from worktop, gives you headroom when working on the worktop, plus space for tall items, but can be 450mm -500mm depends on height of wall unit & height of room.
    Using a 2mm tile spacer, I start tiling 2mm from top of worktop, no need to put tile below worktop, or above wall unit.

Loads of tile calculators online, just enter tile size & wall measurements to get number of tiles needed.

http://www.boydentiles.co.uk/tile-calculator/wall-tile-calculator/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wall 2730mm divide by 150mm tile width gives you 18 tiles.:)

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You wil want to fit the units and tops and then tile. Not a great idea to tile first then fit.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The tile width looks like 300mm in length.

So 2730/300 = 9.1 tiles

I always add 10% to the total amount of tiles for waste and cuts and this figure has always worked out.

I have fitted 3 kitchen no an would always fit the tiles after the base units and worktops have been fitted.

I always use a 2/3mm spacer as Kiab does.

You can set out the wall unit heights by the number of rows of tiles used.

i.e 3 rows @ 450mm = 30 tiles (inc 10%)
    4 rows @ 600mm = 40 tiles (inc 10%)

I have used 100mm tiles and usually tile 5 rows (which equates to 500mm) and have found this to be a good height.