what size armoured cable do i need?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by juniorfairweather, Jan 8, 2015.

1. juniorfairweather

juniorfairweather New Member

hello

i am having a log cabin installed at the bottom of my garden the fuse box is at the front of my house the distance between them is roughly 50metres, i will be having a treadmill, projector and other electrical items in there obviously not all on at once. i will also have 1 light socket for the ceiling for flourescent lighting. Now i have had a couple of qualified electricans come and give me a quote they advise 6mm armoured cable will do the trick. i have phoned a reptuable electrian company to double check and they suggest using 10mm armoured cable??? does anyone know the correct size for this type of job

regards

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've not calculated it but 10mm would give you a degree of "future proofing". 50m is a reasonable length of run and voltage drop has to be considered. You need to add up the total amount of wattage you think you'll want to use, will you want to use any heating in there?

3. juniorfairweather

apolgies yes i will have a small electric stove type heater standard appliance

4. juniorfairweather

will have 2 double sockets one either side of cabin

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

at that length i would say 10mm minimum

Allybally likes this.
  6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

For a 50 mm run I would want to pull in 16 mm 3 Core for we don't know what's going on the end of it.

7. juniorfairweather

Thanks for all ur responses i agree I only want to do this job once as I have to run it through the house under floorboards etc out to the end of garden, my good lady has informed me she wants to have enough supply at some point for the tumble dryer in the winter months, does this effect the size of the cable 10mm or 16mm

Thanks

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Looks like we're heading towards the 16mm then! Where do you intend getting the supply from, the house consumer unit? or preferably a switched fuse Henley blocked from the tails.

9. juniorfairweather

Ok 16mm it is then I'm getting the power from the consumer unit at the front of the house I'm not an electrician whats a fused Henley block from the tails mean lol

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sorry I left a comma out after switched fuse, ie, a switched fuse, Henley blocked from the tails.
    You will need an electrician to do this job for you, even if you're taking your feed from the existing consumer unit.
    There are quite a few issues to be sorted out really, earthing type, rcd protection, notification to Building Control etc. It's not a diy type of job.

FatHands likes this.
  11. juniorfairweather

Yes most definitely an electrician job I'm a basic diy person seems like a lot involved, I just wanted to know what size cable then I could run it from the house out in the garden so that would save me a job when I decide to have the power connected, so where staying with 16mm then ?? Last thing I want to do is buy it, lay it & it's the wrong size

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes i'd say 16mm 3 core swa, (steel wire armoured) that should cover all possibilities.

13. juniorfairweather

Thanks for ur help been most useful:)

14. stu1312

stu1312 Member

why not TT the cabin and then you'd only need a two core, could save a fair bit on 50m of 16mm. I'd discuss with your electrician before running anything in.

15. juniorfairweather

sorry what does tt mean?? i am a basic diyer so dont know the terms

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It means you don't take the 'earth' from the house supply, you put in a seperate, dedicated earth rod at the cabin end.

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

How on earth do you envisage drawing more than 32A?

My whole 3-bed house ran on an ancient 30A supplier's fuse until 4 years ago, and had done for the past 60 years.

6mm is fine (that gives up to 39A over 50m, underground, 3-core SWA)

18. juniorfairweather

Grrrr confused .com thanks again for all comments I appreciate you guys all have different methods for this, think I need to appoint an electrician & suggest all advice that has been given so far to see what they recommend

Cheers

19. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

upload_2015-1-10_11-36-6.jpeg I think this might need 35mm!

20. stu1312

stu1312 Member

Sorry!!
    It will be easiest to speak to an electrician as without looking at the site and checking the existing earthing arrangements we are all just estimating and as you say everyone has a different opinion.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.