What size cable to feed consumer unit??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BrainBox, May 22, 2008.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Also think of the viabilty of the use of metalclad DB's etc..

Nowt worse then trying to gland into plastic DB's and then ending up by remote glanding into metal box and pulling to DB from that.

;)

2. ictmtb

ictmtb New Member

what's wrong with terminating swa in an insulated db?
    Gland at a metalclad switchfuse, earth the armour there. Assuming you're using 3 core, Just run swa straight into db, cut off armour neatly. Job done.

3. BIG LEROY

BIG LEROY New Member

> what's wrong with terminating swa in an insulated
    db?
    Gland at a metalclad switchfuse, earth the armour
    there. Assuming you're using 3 core, Just run swa
    straight into db, cut off armour neatly. Job done.

Nothing if you a 'proper' spark.

Not like some of the 5 day wonders on ere!

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

what's wrong with terminating swa in an insulated
    db?
    Gland at a metalclad switchfuse, earth the armour
    there. Assuming you're using 3 core, Just run swa
    straight into db, cut off armour neatly. Job done.

Nothing wrong..however plastic DB's are flimsy and the SWA might distort the casing thus not allowing a snug fit when front is screwed on.

5. fooman

fooman New Member

if this is conversion into flats i would assume that the extra costs of using split con would hardly me noticed on the total invoice value ???

6. ictmtb

ictmtb New Member

No one down our way uses split con because it's just too dear. I was quoted nearly £700 for about 80m.

7. fooman

fooman New Member

No one down our way uses split con because it's just
    too dear. I was quoted nearly £700 for about 80m.

you get a quote for 3 core 25mm swa then :^O

8. fooman

fooman New Member

9. ictmtb

ictmtb New Member

blimey, that's dear!!
    That's got me thinking...I will have to check my wholesaler prices, I'm sure it's nowhere near that. I think ;)

10. ipcelect

ipcelect New Member

I have seen 16 t&E used alot in flat conversions. Done one myself but went safe and used 16mm2 earth as main earth from board in flat to supply. Question is do I really need a main earth from the board or will the main earth run from the isolator switch by the supply and the cpc from the 16mm2 be sufficient to the isolator / met so long a satisfy all the testing?
    As I have said I have always run a main earth but not too familiar with distribution circuits and can't find any specific advice in regs. Any comments?

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Funny that..when we did out flat conversions the DNO (REC then) insisted on the use of SWA for the individual risers to flats..

Must say one thing..the CPC of the 16mm T + E is no good at all for the scenario portrayed.

Would strap it with a 16mm Earth myself..no ifs or buts on that one.

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

......what about a 'maybe'?

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No what I mean is Sine..

1..Maybe the cabinet in corridor is TN-S.

2..If the supply was run with a 10mm strapper on t'16mm T + E then if it was changed to PME then maybe no good and stuff..despite the parallel thing with the T + E cpc.

3..Still reckon all feeds to flat DB's should be in SWA although that split con sounds good..never used it though so cannot comment on that cable.

4..I don't nuffink else..:(

14. BrainBox

BrainBox New Member

Hay,
    Thanks 4 yor help ppl. Central Heating is gas, and there are only 4-5 elec circuits. Choose to use 166mm T&E with 10mm Earth cable in the end. Electric Engineer who came to check my 1st fix was happy with that!!! :)

Thanks again 4 all the input.

15. BrainBox

BrainBox New Member

Hay,
    Thanks 4 yor help ppl. Central Heating is gas, and there are only 4-5 elec circuits. Choose to use 166mm T&E with 10mm Earth cable in the end. Electric Engineer who came to check my 1st fix was happy with that!!! :)

Thanks again 4 all the input.

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Pardon?

17. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

That 166mm T&E costs a fortune Sine

it´s no wonder you haven´t heard of it :)

18. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Ah!

Thought it was just me being daft then!