What size Tee Hinge please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Nov 10, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all

Looking to hang a new timber side gate and gone for a decent one, fully framed and braced, 3' x 6.6'
    Frame is 40mm thick with quality T&G panel - overall its heavy

The heavy duty T Hinges come in 400, 450, or 500mm length and I was thinking to go with 450mm size

Also I was going to use 3 hinges but note that these come as pairs, at £16 a pair for the 450mm it seems a waste to buy 2 pairs and have one hinge over

Your thoughts would be most welcome as always .....thanks guys

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If there's three rails to fix to, its three max. Or its just the two top and bottom.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

450s are what I use, my local merchants sells them as 3s :)

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for replies
    Yep thought that 450s would do the job, as I said it's a heavy gate so definitely wanna go with 3 hinges

Thinking about it, most hinges are sold in pairs anyway, so when fitting a door on 3 hinges, you usually have to buy 2 pairs then are left with a hinge over

Just that these heavy duty 450s are £16 pair so seems a waste to be left with one hinge

Will look at other suppliers
    Thanks again guys

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

FatHands likes this.
  6. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Got to agree with RW, it's hooks and bands all the way, fit it and forget it. Tee hinges will fail at some point.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks all for the above advice

When I said the gate was heavy, I suppose not excessively so, just a 900 mm gate, fully framed and braced and a bit thicker than some others I've seen

Used the 450 T Hinges in the end, brought descent heavy ones, still couldn't find them sold as singles so ended up with 2 pairs and a spare hinge over - oh well, you never know when one spare hinge will come in handy !

Gate is looking good now, 3 coats of creosote and smellin lovely

Thanks again chaps