What sized angle grinder for installing joist hangers?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dan_aka_jack, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

Hi there,

A simple question (I hope!):

What diameter blade do I require on my angle grinder to cut large enough slits in brickwork to install joist hangers?

I'm retrofitting joist hangers to a Victorian house so I have to cut into the existing brick to allow the top lip of the joist hanger to insert into the brickwork. The joist hangers are 200x50mm.

2. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

A standard 115mm blade will do you, Jacko, as you only need to let the hanger in 55mm approx.

If you're fitting the hangers into a mortar joint, then a Swiss Army knife will do......

Lucia.

3. dan_aka_jack

dan_aka_jack New Member

cool, thank you for the reply

4. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Lucia - what rot!

You are going to need a 9 inch grinder to get the depth.

Or - bolt a joist to the wall and use timber to timber hangers off that. I prefer this way - less messy, easier to get the floor flat and often prefered by BCOs.

5. ­

­ New Member

Lucy dear, stick to the muppett's section. You know it makes sense.

115mm indeed! In your dreams perhaps.......

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Look, if 115mm is big enough for Lucia's slot - who are you lot to complain?

7. Definitely 9" and if you are using the Simpson Strongtie JHM type Hangers you will have to still cut about 1/2" off the hanger tang or go to a 12" grinder. Bolt on types are another solution, easier to fix with Screwbolts (Thunderbolts) or Concrete screws (Tapcon anchors).

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

The O/P said that he's using 200x50mm hangers.

The tang on <u>that</u> size is 52mm, so a 115mm disc
    will easily cut to that depth.

I have no idea how he'll establish levels doing it that way - but <u>that's up to him.</u> Personally I'd prefer to bolt a level plate to the wall to take the joist hangers...

However, the O/P asked a "a simple question (I hope)", so I have given him a direct answer. There's no need for a 9" or 12" cutter for a depth of 52mm.

I reserve the right to post on Builders' Talk, because it's the natural and nearest choice for my present particular trade or calling - the fact that I spend most of my time on the sparks' forum is a matter for me and a clearly a matter for you twits to speculate about.

I've answered the O/P, and he seems content - bless him... So the rest of you can piss orf and stop trying to teach your granny how to suck eggs......

Lucia.

9. Guest

Two days! you must have been losing sleep thinking about it, sorry Lucia your wrong, the gordon's doing the talkin.

x

10. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Lucia - a 115mm disc will not cut 52mm!

If you halve 115 (you obviously only cut with one side of the disc) you get 57.5mm. Now the nut holding the disc is 40mm - halve that you get 20mm. Take 20 from 57 and you get 37mm.

So if you have a brand new disc and perfect access to the cut - you can cut 37mm - which is some way off 52mm!

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Thank you for explaining it to me, becks dear.

So, the Swiss Army knife it'll have to be, then.......

A Merry Christmas to all my readers, and

Pffftttt!

Lucia x

12. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Merry christmas to your good self too!

xxx