What to do with Earth when installing double insulated downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pete Hanbury, Jul 17, 2016.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

more than i care to count however any where i have used it i use a choc box and check all install every 6 months

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What does it matter whether you use a Chock block and box, a Hager thingy or even one of the old round JBs?
    Next you'll be saying how red screwdrivers are better than orange.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Yes it does matter, especially given the quality of some out there and the need to check integrity on a regular basis. What would you suggest to a customer, save £20 on components now and pay £50 once a year for a check?

And actually Red are better than Orange, unless doing up the screws on a Consumer Unit when the Orange ones are best!

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Why would a 20A JB above a ceiling need to be checked every year? maybe a cursory glance at the 10 yearly inspection if anyone can be nothered to have one done Just because the pen pushers have moved the goal posts regarding screwed terminals this doesn't mean that all the screwed terminals are now suddenly loose, they will be just as tight as before some no-mark wrote something.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

But this is red and yellow -
    upload_2016-7-19_20-2-8.png
    maybe I should get an orange one.

6. tina lucinda lane

in fact i provide the 6 month to yearly or longer checks totaly for free (on all that i have installed or am aware of normaly all of them)

7. spinlondon

Wasn't aware of the £50 annual check on JB screw terminal tightness?
    Is it £50 per JB?
    What about the screw terminals in socket-outlets, FCUs, ceiling roses, CUs, lamp holders and all the other screw terminals found in boilers, light fittings 3 pin plugs, etc. etc.

Of course the fact that these particular fittings already have a chock box with screw terminals appears to have escaped your notice.

Damnit, where's my soldering iron?
    Bugger, a 3 pin plug.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

We are not talking about screw terminals but Choc Blocks - yes they may be similar in construction but READ WHAT I HAVE SAID about the rubbish out there at present. When 20% of screws strip their threads on light torque, or are so loose in the threads you cannot trust the rubbish being sold.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY here and purely commenting on strip connectors being rubbish, and dangerous;
    Recently wallpapered a room and removed the chrome sockets prior to stripping and papering. Fitted a 30A connector block at each back box, ring main so 6 cores at each. On tightening the screws, several of the brass 'channels' cracked when reasonably tight. Even though the screw was holding, the wires weren't tight and you could see the cracked brass through the plastic casing. These were new connectors, 1st time used and brought from a large shed (orange) Not good or safe, just scrimped on the thickness of brass used to save a few pennies here and there and produce another rubbish product

You guys has similar happen I wonder ?

10. tina lucinda lane

yes black and spur fine for flex (unless soldered to make it neat) or any solid strand stuff just over tighten slighty and crack and in each run the was at least one with a dogey screw (hole not threaded or two big)

11. spinlondon

Are you seriously saying that every year, you check to see if chock blocks have split or the screw terminal threads have stripped?

Stop saving yourself pennies buying cheap tat.
    Don't overcharge your customers buying unnecessary expensive tat.
    Stop conducting unnecessary annual checks.

12. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Had a few blocks split and they weren't from the shed either,they came from a reputable supplier,hardly use them now even on 12v stuff.There are that many "Wago" type connectors out there it's not worth it.

13. That was mainly concerned with wiring plug tops.

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It was, but I wire everything that way.

Kind regards

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old school spark.:eek::)

16. Bazza-spark

That's me. Started in 1973 lol.

Kind regards

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

43 years sparking:eek: think of all the changes good & bad in electrical installation in at those years,far too many to list, Part P is one thing on my bad list.

18. Bazza-spark

Don't get me started on Part P. An expensive waste of time. It hasn't stopped the unqualified, but has stopped those professionals that are not registered.

Biggest scam in years.

Loads of changes, but industrial has remained pretty constant compared to domestic.

Kind regards

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When part P came in 1st Jan 2005, I gave up sparking, just too much hassle.:(

Bazza-spark likes this.
  20. Bazza-spark

Fortunately I have been in industrial since about 1980 so it hasn't really affected me. I was QS for the NICEIC with full scope a few years ago, but it hacked me off that when I left the company they kept their memberships without having a QS, but I lost the status immediately. It was gained on my qualification and experience but I lost and they kept. Complete carp.

Industrial for me.

Kind regards