What to use for cutting up reinforced concrete fence posts?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I've got maybe 16 x 7ft9 concrete posts to dispose of and the plan was to cut them up into easily manageable pieces so they'll go in the boot of the car (or neighbours van) to the tip. The tip is only round the corner so a few journeys is not a problem.

The grinder I've got is way too small to even cut half way through one of these posts, so I was thinking of buying a cheap, larger angle grinder to get this done. Is an angle grinder the best thing to use and if not, what is, please?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Support the post & give a good belt with a lump hammer, should enough to reveal the rebar so you can cut it with your grinder, most likely only two lengths of rebar per post.

Best thing to cut them is a Stihl saw or 9" grinder, can hire for a day or weekend.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. enc

enc Active Member

Goggles on and **** with a heafty lump hammer ... you'll dispose of your post and get a good work out at the same time :)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, Sorry, I should have said that smashing them up it is not an option as this is a resolution to a long border dispute and I've promised there'll be as little mess and disruption as possible. I will look to see how much hiring costs vs buying a cheap 9" grinder, cheers.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They only need to be cut in half,9" grinder can cut from both sides, will get through quite a few disc's though, even using a Diamond Segmented Blade probably would need two.

Stihl saw hire about £30 a day, most likely manage with a single diamond blade.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Excllent, thanks mate:)

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you've got use of a van then you should only need to cut them in half, so a 9" with diamond blade will do, you can hire both and pay per mm wear on the blade.

Monkey Chops likes this.