What tool for this screw/nut?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Richard Hewston, May 28, 2017.

1. Richard Hewston

Richard Hewston New Member

Does anyone know what type of tool can remove this screw/nut? (See file attached)

It's part of a washing machine.

Many thanks,

Attached Files:

2. From what I can see from the pic. Not the clearest pic, but a standard hexagonal headed nut ?

Just a conventional socket and ratchet or deep ring spanner.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

is that actually a nut ?? it does not look like one to me .

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

is the inner a bolt that has sheared off by any chance and the black around is welded on ,having the female thread as its internal diameter ?

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or the bolthead is round the other side?

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Much better photo needed.

7. Richard Hewston

Richard Hewston New Member

Thank you for your replies. I have uploaded some more photos (which also includes the back)
    I have tried a 5mm and a 5.5mm socket. The 5mm in too small, and the 5.5mm is just too big (i.e. it won't grip the sides.) Any ideas?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

8. Decent set of grips. Some pressure on the threaded end to persuade it down/out.

Bit of brute force and a few swear words.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

it is obviously a screw / bolt thread .if all else fails you drill a hole in it and use a screw extractor .

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Dunno if it's my eyes or a blurry pic but the head doesn't look exactly hexagonal - has it been previously butchered maybe

If it's the bolt in bottom picture, looks like it's screwed into a plastic moulding so unlikely to be mega tight

Pair of mole grips or similiar might shift it