What van to buy?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by ccasement, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ccasement

ccasement Member

What vans do people use? and what vans best for someone starting up?

Cheers

2. A lot depends on what you need to use the van for, if you are carrying sheet material or long lengths you will need a Transit sized van, long, medium or short wheel base.
    I have always had Transit, but changed to vivaro couple of years ago, changing back to transit this year, more reliable and rugged.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I've always had small vans, any boilers, rads, baths that I need I have delivered, most merchants deliver free nowadays so it saves time going for them, At present I have a vw caddy, I'd say it is the best van I have had so far,

4. Vincent Moss

Vincent Moss New Member

Personally (and no disrespect to all the decent time served plumbers on here) anyone who can afford a new shiny van beautifully signwritten with fantastic graphics is charging way too much for their services, a van is a workhorse, it just needs to be reliable and suitable for the job, not be a mobile CD system!!!! a decent used van is good enough (and doesn't break the bank), mine is 15 years old and costs about 250 quid to keep on the road each year (plus tax and insurance), I'd rather have the profit in my pocket than a shiny new van, 5 years at 250 quid a year is a lot cheaper than 130 quid a month for a lease or loan.

snappyfish likes this.
  5. Mememe 2

Mememe 2 New Member

I get a new Van every three years, I never own the vehicle but why would I ever need to? I've still got the Van covered in "sign writing;)", I also claim the VAT back on the payments and get free road tax and breakdown cover over the term.

I would go in and get a quote from a few dealers, If you are expecting to have high mileage on the vehicle then contract hire may not be cost effective for you. I just feel that giving away a lump sum doesn't make good business sence, speak to your accountant he will advice on whats best.

6. Mememe 2

Mememe 2 New Member

Sorry... Citroen Relay LWB High roof. It comes with all the usual bits, leccy windows and mirrors, remote central locking ,air con, rear parking aid etc.

7. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

go get urselef a Nissan NV200.
    you will neva look bak.  
    besides, I agree wiv mantor (sorry, meme3).  get a new van every 3 years.  more expensive dan the £250 a year (ffftttt yeah right) paid by Vinny Mosses but guarantees endless business.  Park a new van infront of a customers drive and you will be the one turning down the business;)

Rulland likes this.
  8. ccasement

ccasement Member

Thanks for that. only want something to get by with first

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Toyota Hiace. I run three and they are boringly bullet proof.

10. I don't own a van but I have rode in many vans with work over the years.
    The ford transit is quite good depending on age of them. I find the older ones quite rough and ready but the newer ones are more refined.
    However the IVECO daily is more modern but very unreliable with electronics! has anyone owned an Iveco daily?

11. Wallflower

Wallflower New Member

I have only hired vans, but always enjoy driving the transits, even the underpowered hire vans

12. Captain Caffeine

Captain Caffeine New Member

I've always enjoyed driving my mates Transit 350 LWB, thing feels like a tank and I could practically live in it, it's huge.

13. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

as already said, really depends on what you need it for. for me, a Focus estate does the job. :)

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

VW Crafter, a proper Van!

snappyfish likes this.
  15. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Milk float,nice quite little runner.:)

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Just make sure that the Van is organised- cleaned every week (this rarely happens!)

[​IMG]

17. abbeybuild

abbeybuild New Member

Not sure if the OP is still interested in a van choice but depending on what you need it to do, an Astra Envoy 1.7d is a good work horse. If you are just starting up you can get a 02-04 plate with full MOT from £550 up to around £700. Cheap to run with a good mpg. Plenty to choose from on the net. I can get my table saw in the back without removing it from its stand and it takes a cement mixer with ease.

It drives like a car and is easy to park when space is limited. This van works for me so I thought I'd just stick my oar in and champion the Astra.

18. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="abbeybuild, post: 1370056, member: 147464"]Not sure if the OP is still interested in a van [/QUOTE]

Posted Jan 7, 2012.

He's possibly looking for a replacement for the one he bought in 2012 :p

19. abbeybuild

abbeybuild New Member

To be honest I didn't look at the date. If he bought an Astra he would still be running it.;):p

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Good come back A B, sharp and witty

Welcome to the forum ;)

abbeybuild likes this.