what wall is planning permission measured from?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by sneesam, Aug 24, 2016.

1. sneesam

sneesam New Member

Hi,

I would like to build an extension on the back of my bungalow. So we don't need permission we have to stay under 3 meters, right?

My question is, the back of the house is about 1 meter less than the back of the attached garage ( which we will turn into accommodation). So where will the 3 meters be measured from? The back of the house or the back of the attached garage?

2. I suspect the back of the living accommodation - ie the house.

But if you talk it over with 'planning', and explain the garage will also be 'living' space, they might be flexible. Especially if you have not had any previous extension work done - have you?

I think they appreciate that, these days, it's harder for people to move to larger homes, so they may be more flexible in allowing a larger extension.

Possibly.

(I certainly wouldn't build without checking - they can make you take it back down.)

sneesam likes this.
  3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You can't extend out 3m past the rear wall of your house for permitted development.

If you want to do something bigger don't be put off by putting in a planning application. The worst that can happen is you get refused, then you just go the permitted development route.

4. sneesam

sneesam New Member

Thanks for this, It just boils down to where they measure from... if it is the back of the garage then we gain an extra meter without needing permission and the cost of drawings.

If it is the back of the house then we have to think if 3 meters is enough.

There has been no other work done on the bungalow.

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Sketch it, bring it down to your planning office for a pre application consultation if you want to try and appeal to them because of your garage.

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Measure is from back wall as originally built or at 1946.

At present PD rules are temporarily changed to 6m or 8m back subject to heights and other restrictions. As said above though check.

7. sneesam

sneesam New Member

thanks for everyone's replies. I have to pay £50 to speak to Leeds planning dept.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

WHAT? That is an absolute con and rip off.

Just remind them that YOU pay your council tax and that the council staff are ultimately responsible to you as a tax payer.

:) Build what ever you want, then when the council write to you to tell you to remove it, send them a bill for £1000 which is your standard chareg for responding to their communications! :)