Whats All This Stuff Regarding 1mm T + E?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Aug 21, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's a joke really Roy. I simply have no idea how people like spin and ristaird manage to function in the real world.

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

does anyone else think all this carp will come full circle? at the end of the day the overload protection is for the cable so who cares what is connected to it!

3. xdrive

xdrive New Member

Would you use a 1mm cable for smoke alarm of primary lighting circuit that is wired with 1.5mm cable? I know it is rated above 6amp but would that circuit mean the 1.5mm cable for lighting was unnecessary as protection would be for minimum cable which will be 1mm.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The key to any circuit design is to ensure that the overcurrent protection will protect the conductors under any abnormal conditions, so as Senica stated, If you can justify it and show the proof it is OK, do it. Please remember at all times that BS7671 offers us the route to compliance at the lowest level, just stating in a table that 1.0mm cannot be used on lighting may be over ridden buy calcs and tangible evidence to support the decision.

5. xdrive

xdrive New Member

All this can be avoided if we use 1.5mm cable instead of 1mm.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thanks for digging up a 5-year old post. I wasted ages reading all that irrelavent stuff.
    I have only one thing to says to you

Holy thread resurrection.jpg

PaulBlackpool and MGW like this.
  7. xdrive

xdrive New Member

:D

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The table states 1mm CAN be used for lighting and control wiring. There is no table that stops you using it on lighting.

9. Bob Rathbone

Irrespective of the cable size used, the method of cable and protective device selection remains the same until fault conditions become an issue (adiabatic formula).
    Exactly my point.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You may want to re-word your post them :-/ You state CANNOT ?

11. Bob Rathbone

Not my words, Table 53 was quoted by others in this thread as the reason for not using 1.0mm on lighting circuits. Many have decided to ignore it as it is an EU harmonization issue, I agree the table serves no useful purpose in cable selection.