What's eating the flexi?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by break it till it fits, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Evening all.

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....

Got called to a new bathroom installation where a new flexi toilet pan connector has developed holes in the inside if the flexible part. It looks looks something has EATEN from the inside rather than something rubbing against it because the holes are in the flexible wall of the flexi, nearest the centre, NOT the outside. Plus there's more than one hole.

Do rats get inside the flexi connectors and have a chew?
    It's a new flexi, so it's unlkely to have perished. And is they do get into the flexi connectors, why don't they come up through the water trap in the toilet?

2. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

perhaps it was a scuba rat or more likely flux not cleaned out of the pipes

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Or someone has been poking a drain cleaning wire down the loo, or flushed something sharp?

4. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

sorry just reread the post and realised you were talking about the pan connector, yes rats do chew through pipes and they have been known to swim up the bends in toilets

5. standathome

standathome New Member

Probably rats. I saw the same thing happen in my governors house.

I removed the Jolly Flex and hard piped with a couple of tight 90s.

The rats probably do come through the water seal but cant get out cos there's no ladder. Hence they chew through the point of least resistance.

6. fooman

fooman New Member

The rats probably do come through the water seal but
    cant get out cos there's no ladder. Hence they chew
    through the point of least resistance.

so what ladders do they use to climb the 8ft soil pipe then :)

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

surely a rope ladder ?

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I've a mate that works for McAlpine. They changed the type of plastic on their flexi WC connectors, in fact all flexi connectors for that reason. So always use a quality Scottish product, namely McAlpine!!

9. SLIM JIM...

SLIM JIM... Member

Rats can climb up theiside of soil pipes by pushing against the wall to stop themselves falling.
    Just like in mission implopsible!!!

Siobhan Bryar likes this.
  10. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

I dont fancy taking a dump on that loo. Explain that bite to the missus.

11. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

More likely the householder is using those Blu Loo blocks you hang on the inside of the cistern. These obnoxious things are highly acidic and you cant wash it off your hands when you need to change a syphon/diaphragm etc.

12. Thanks folks.

No bloo blocks - it's clean water in the cistern.
    She says she's not flushed anything sharp, and not poked anything that far down.

Sorry - forgot to mention she's on the ground floor so it must be my mate Roland. Maybe I'll build him a ladder.....

Solid 4 in pipe with some REALLY tight nineties I think.

13. rome60

rome60 New Member

Rats love the seal in flexible pan connectors,had one compleatly chewed away the seal on a new build house before i connected the pan.

14. mully123

mully123 New Member

Whats eating the FLEX!!!!!!!!!!. What about an arzole with teeth.LOL

15. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

More likely the householder is using those Blu Loo blocks you hang on the inside of the cistern. These obnoxious things are highly acidic and you cant wash it off your hands when you need to change a syphon/diaphragm etc.

Smiffy, you can't easily wash it off your lips and tongue either, if, like a young fresh faced apprentice sent to change a syphon in a high level cistern, you don't lift the lid on the WC seat before popping your manometer hose into the cistern and suck hard to syphon it out..........

I can still taste it 30 years later.

Patrick

16. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

"Thanks folks.

No bloo blocks - it's clean water in the cistern.
    She says she's not flushed anything sharp, and not poked anything that far down.
    "

Come on Patrick, at least read the full thread before posting. :^O

17. brianthompson

brianthompson New Member

Hi rats do not like porcelain pipe but love to chew flexi get rid and fit solid pipe

18. Too late, mate - the dirty rat got him :(

19. kveater

kveater New Member

I've got the same issue. Had a new toilet fitted 2-3 months ago and the flexi hose split. Was replaced a week ago and exactly the same has happened. See picture! flexi hose.jpg
    Anyone get any clues. Can't imagine a rat would cause an identical tear and had no signs of any rats at all.

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Looks like rodent damage to me. Likely to be a ground floor w.c , is it ?