What's the best thing to use to seal wires into a new consumer unit to meet new regs?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ianswuk, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Ianswuk

Ianswuk New Member

I have had a new consumer unit installed and note that the new regulations, due to come into force in January, require the wires entering the enclosure to be sealed. What's the best thing to use to do this?

2. Most regulations are not retroactive and will not apply to an already complete system.

What date was the system installed? (It may apply for this matter even from 1 July 2015 in some cases)

3. Ianswuk

Ianswuk New Member

Hi. It was installed about a week ago. I want to make sure that its bang up to date with regs if possible and as safe as it can be

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You do not need to fire seal the entry holes. The cable entries should be done as you would previously have done it with other CUs.

The top surface must be IP4X
    The bottom and sides must be IP2X
    This has been a requirement for many years.

There is no requirement to fire stop the holes, as confirmed by the NICEIC.

FatHands likes this.
  5. The OP is asking how to seal the holes as per the incoming regulations found here:

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/55/consumer-units/index.cfm

6. Lectrician

Yes, but there is no requirement for the holes. Just to use a consumer unit manufactured from a non-combustable material. As far as the holes in the CU go, you would "seal" them as you would previously done before this regulation was introduced.

7. Correct, 421.2.201 does not require the holes to be sealed - so not a regulation. But comments on the link worth reading. It would be hard to justify not sealing the holes at least to some degree (no pun intended).

8. Lectrician

I'm just going by what the NICEIC have stated. They have made it clear it is as it was before, IP4x on top, IP2x elsewhere. They have said there is no need to fire stop the holes.

9. And I'm only going by the IET website ;)

Lectrician likes this.
  10. stu1312

stu1312 Member

It would be nice if just once they just made it clear in the regs the actual intent and what achieves compliance rather than vague information leaving everyone to speculate on what is required!

11. What they are saying is, the purpose if a fire proof CU is to prevent fire spreading so if there are holes they should be filled up - also to prevent spreading, but that part is not regulation.

I agree that this does not make the matter clear.

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

As usual, a total illogical knee jerk reaction by "the people in charge"...with no definitive practical guidance on important details....to help the mugs paying their salaries.
    Any thoughts on using silicone such as Victas...300 degrees C .or ...1250 C rating ?
    RS

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

There is no need to seal the cable entries, end of!

Lectrician likes this.
  14. I know there is no 'legal' requirement, but if a homeowner chooses to do so to protect themselves of a fire spreading from within a fire proof CU with holes in it, then how would they? I think that may rephase the OP's question better?!

15. Ianswuk

Ianswuk New Member

That's about the long and short of it, how would I seal the holes if I decided to do so? I have Milliput and Sugru which I was considering using, both of which are fire resistant to a degree. If not these products then what could I use and where would I get it? As I understood the new regs, (I'm not an electrician) the holes would have to be sealed to prevent fire spreading but it appears that this may not be correct. Thanks for the answers so far guys, I wasn't intending to 'spark' a debate!

16. Maybe they didn't make it regulation because they couldn't find a product for it ;)

Ianswuk likes this.
  17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think a splodge of decorators caulking is as good as anything.

18. I would at least go for a fire retardant silicone, but in any event if the thing is flipin' air tight there won't be a fire to start with!

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Also if the screws are tightened sufficiently there won't be a fire either CPM!

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

And that the mcb's aint due for some kind of product recall.