What's the best way to build a workstation base to chop worktop

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 25, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I have lots of off cut pieces of 28mm and 60mm Maple and Bamboo work tops.

I want to cut them down square to use as isolation shelves for a hifi.

I have a plunge saw and track so I was going to clamp the track to one of the pieces and use the plunge saw to cut them to size.

I want to build something to sit each piece on to support it when I cut it, it will need some way to allow for the two F clamps to be used? So can not just put them on my work bench?

Any ideas what I could build? Most will be roughly the same size? 500mm X 370mm I could do with something that's smaller than the piece to allow for the clamps to be used underneath to secure the track to the work piece?

I don't really want to clamp each piece to the new support so maybe a stop on the front so the piece doesn't slide when I cut ?

Also is WD 40 OK to lube the track? Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks, just hard trying to describe what I want

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Recently bought a track saw myself and what an amazing piece of kit

I'm diy so looked at budget friendly and went with Screwfix own brand - Titan. To me, it's more than adequate

Regarding the track, I've been using WD40 Silicon Spray with super smooth results

Although regular WD40 does evaporate, you don't want any oily residue left as this will soon clog up with sawdust

As for a clamping method ..... still thinking :)

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

In the past I have used a Workmate with the track clamps going into the gap in the top ... the two parts of the top support the work-piece and it can be clamped if required.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's a relief - I'm trying hard to imagine what you want.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unless the surface as very shiny the tracks should grip on their own, at least that's the case with Festool, just don't try and force it.

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I just want something I can bang a piece of worktop down on, clamp the track to it and cut.

I have lots of worktop space, but don't want to **** about putting some wood lattes down and the thing moving all the time.

Also what's the best height to use a plunge saw? Sawing height? Or plane height ? Thanks

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

They are hardwood work tops so do slide a little.

10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

As in a workmates adjustable height with legs out or in ?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at toughbuilt trestles,depending on model they are height adjustable, perfect for a track saw work table, I have a pair of ToughBuilt C700 Adjustable Metal Trestle, I just drop in two 4x2 rails into the clamps & then lay a sheet of 18mm ply on top for a 8x4 workbench,ply has holes to accept workmate pegs,also have smaller 4x2 rails & a half sheet of 18mm ply for smaller 4x4 bench.

http://www.toughbuilt.com/sawhorses/

And don't cut your trestle.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you need to put WD40 on a tracksaw something is wrong.

The best thing to put underneath a tracksaw to stop the blades cutting into a the work top is a sheet of insulation or look on youtube for "cutting table"

To hold to rail to the surface being cut use some of the http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-guide-rail-clamp-ax954939

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks you get two clamps supplied I will have a look on youtube