What's the best way to "Cut/Break" Karndean. Floor Tiles?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by wingit, Jan 9, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

I want to cut some strips about 3 inches wide from a spare Karndean tile to fit under a range cooker that has been left on concrete and tiles laid up to the support legs but not underneath. The floor concrete is fairly rough and it's a real pain to get the cooker out.
    So, if I score the spare tile with a Stanley knife and break over the edge of a piece of wood will that give a reasonably clean edge? As I don't have any floor adhesive I was going to use contact PVA to stick the strips on the floor under the cooker where the legs will then run smoothly. Strips won't be seen except for a few mm poking out from the cooker plinth. Any comments?
    I ask rather than diving in and giving it a go because I've only got one spare tile and therefore can't afford repeated mistakes.

Thanks

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I don't have tonnes of experience with karndean, I'm sure someone with better knowledge will advise but from my experience, yes scoring with a fresh stanley blade through the first few mm should give you a clean break.

3. Hi Wingit.

Exactly as you say. A good steel rule, held firmly on top surface, and don't press too hard with the Stanley. Score a few times - again don't push too hard each time or you may go off-line :).

Turn over, bend - you probably won't even need a straight edge unless it's a long plank-tile?

Or'nary 300mm square tiles will snap cleanly. They're greeaaaaat!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I had Amtico fitted which is similar to Karnean
    The fitter did a superb job and used these blades for all his cuts - concave trimming blade

These are really razor sharp, much better cut than "Stanley" type blades and they even cut through 4mm ply

Just use the tip and these will glide through your tiles

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't lay a 3" strip of them on contact adhesive for a cooker to slide on, though.

6. jeorge

jeorge New Member

Use a straight edge to score tile snap/bend by hand ,you will see the top is split but the backing is intact still,
    place your stanley blade beneath on backing & just pull towards you,straight blade is fine,using a concave blade is just personal preference.:)
    contact adhesive should do the job ok
    Not a recommended adhesive for Karndean but will do the job just fine.