What's the biggest problem you face now as a plumber?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by StewartGriffin, Jul 16, 2017.

1. StewartGriffin

StewartGriffin New Member

Hello,

My brother-in-law, who is older than me, is a plumber and runs his own business. I don't run my own business and always find what is going on with his interesting. I always find I learn the most when he tells about whatever problem he is currently facing.

I wondered if the plumbers of the internet could be just as informative and interesting. So, here I am to see what I can find out :)

So, my simple questions (answer any you want to):
    - what is the biggest problem currently facing you in your business?
    - What problems can you remember from the recent past in your business?

(Note: I work for a company that sells stuff to schools. We have no products nor plans for products aimed at plumbers or other tradesmen. I do not work in a sales or marketing capacity. This post is not going to lead to me trying to sell you anything in a reply. I just want to learn.)

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I'm now at the end of my career as a plumber / heating engineer,
    The most common complaint I have is the plumbing fittings, ballvalves etc are very poor quality, toilet casting seem to have no quality control, my catch phrase is you can get cheap rubbish, or pay a lot of money and get expensive rubbish!

Most customer complains are due to poor quality materials,

Gas boilers? Often you get a good boiler, but after a while the manufacturer 'updates' it. To the detriment of the boiler.

Cast aluminium boiler? Rubbish, Glowworm made a good boiler with stainless steel, now swopped to cast aluminium?
    Not sure if that helps, or just me having a rant....

Regards
    Peter

3. StewartGriffin

StewartGriffin New Member

What, so the quality of components has gone down over the years?

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Yes the quality of ball valves, as an example, were brass fitting that could be serviced or repaired.
    Now it's plastic throw away.
    The original high level cystern, had a simple bell arrangement, pulling the chain simply lifted the bell and the weight of the bell would start the syphon action, and the head of water would clear the pan .

The water saving cystern often use more water, because the wc needs flushing twice. Also the drains block up more

It's all well to clear the pan, but no thought of the contents getting to the treatment works!

I could go on.......
    Regards
    Peter