What's the difference between hardboard and mdf

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Feb 23, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've been told to wear a dusk mask when sanding mdf but I've never have and never had a problem but I've just been sanding hardboard and the dust has gone down the back of my throat. If you go to my local timber yard they will cut hardboard to size but they won't cut mdf until the end of the day due to dust particles.

2. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

They're both lethal in the long term. MDF is full of famaldihde and cutting it without protection is sheer stupidity, unless of course you want resperitory problems later in life. Hardbboard has much lighter fibres and dust so it will float in the air ( and your lungs) more readily.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What do you do to stay happy? :cool:

4. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Not sure what you mean by that, unless speaking about the real dangers of MDF etc constitutes being a miserable git.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As with MDF, Formica also contains Formaldehyde the awareness and safety precautions are well documented, use of the word 'lethal' and 'want respiratory problems' are alarmist in the least.

6. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

To be fair it should sound alarm bells. It's well documented that prolonged, unprotected exposure to MDF particles can cause cancer and asthma. I've seen it so many times in my 34 years as a carpenter, tradesman shrouded in a cloud of MDF dust. As the original post mentioned having no problems with MDF dust it seems only right to comment on the dangers of it. If you Google it you'll find that the problems with it often manifest themselves years later. So to answer your question what do I do to stay happy? I find that staying alive and healthy is my main starting point!

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In the US wood dust is classed in the same category as Asbestos. Because of its nature one of the worst offenders surprisingly is hardwood, it doesn't decompose in the lungs

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes I agree re-health, another hazard to add to the ever growing list, lead paint preparation, loft lagging, asbestos products, wood dust of all sorts more so machined wood dust even eating bacon! How many people do you really know who have died directly from cancer without doubt caused by mdf, I can honestly say that I knew 2 people who died from asbestos related cancer one a car mechanic and the other a pipe lagger at a power station in the 1970's.

9. Magjul

Magjul Member

With ref. to the OP - I'd go to a timber merchant that had working dust extraction.......

10. crazyworld

crazyworld New Member

the building trade is a dangerous buisness lets face it.make some money and get out by 60