What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Percy Vera, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Percy Vera

Percy Vera New Member

Whats the difference between Dulux Matt Emulsion and Dulux Trade Matt Emulsion, apart from £10 in B&Q? Is it worth paying the extra?

2. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Not really, but what is the application you wish to use it for?

IWS: It Wasn't worth Spending too much :)

3. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Non-Trade Dulux, isn't suitable for first coating new plaster. (Rich Matt).

4. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Like the user name, Percy :^O

5. jockster

jockster New Member

Percy

The trade & retail paints are very different specs. The trade variant has higher pigment & opacifying 'stuff'.

A while back I had a job where there were 3 bedrooms & a hall/stairs to be painted in white . They had all been in magnolia . As I picked up other stuff for the job at the trade counter the owner says 'how come you never by your white emulsion from me?' I say 'cos its too expensive'. He assures me the trade variants are very different.

So me and my mate tried his McPherson matt, dulux retail & dulux trade white emulsions. The McPherson & dulux trade covered in 1 coat, the retail we could see in a minute was gonnae take 2 coats minimum.

The trade counter guy explained about the different specs, titanium dioxide levels (?) and expanders but went over my head tbh. End result is I can see the trade product covers much better.

Jockster

6. Percy Vera

Percy Vera New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    It is for new plaster so I think I'll use the Trade stuff, although I will PVA first.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thanks for the replies.
    It is for new plaster so I think I'll use the Trade stuff, although I will PVA first.

I would say this post has got to be a wind up!

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

This has got to be a wind up, if its not do not PVA!!!!!!

9. Percy Vera

Percy Vera New Member

Unfortunately it's not a wind up.

I know I might get abuse for asking but I won't know why if I don't, so why not PVA first? My plasterer told me to.

10. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Ignore your plasterer he may be a good spread but he is no decorator.

What you need to do it to prime your new plaster with what is known as a mist coat. Get yourself some matt contract emulsion, best to use a non-vinyl, add fresh clean water to the ratio of 15-20% and paint with this. This coat will prime the new plaster, once dry apply two coats of your desired finish.

11. jockster

jockster New Member

New plaster prep & finishing is just as Telmay posted.

No PVA required.

12. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Titanium in white paint....strange stuff is titanium....its actually BLACK. ICI had a plant at Seal Sands on Teesside the produced white pigment for their paints form titanium.