What's the opinion on this?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BMC2000, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Tell the sparkies to mind their heads up there... :eek:

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Dont forget to suck air through teeth when doing the final total price BMC. Before sucking the price is say 5k, and after sucking air through teeth the price will be what 5.4k.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Might be best to don a hard hat DA - flipping heck..

4. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Yes, some nice westmorland greens on it

5. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'm just the guy pointing out the problems to help advise them before they buy - would not do more than wire a plug myself!

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sounds nice BMC - is the house in the Orkneys?

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

With respect, I thought so, otherwise you wouldn't be asking what is glaringly obvious to most people!

To give them a proper view, get a qualified electrician to do a full report on the whole installation.

Stop looking in the loft, its not too bad and can be sorted in a couple of hours.

You need to look at what condition the stuff you cannot see is in. Like what is buried in the walls, is it old rubber cable that is crumbling, is the insulation resistance of the circuits up to scratch. Given the age of the fuseboard I would guess that's 40-50 years old, so the house wiring may be at least that.

If you need to know, for certain, get a qualified electrician to do a full report. It will cost a couple of hundred squids but they can save that off the asking price.

BMC2000 likes this.
  8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Indeed bazza - it's all about knowing your limitations.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A man's got to know his limitations...

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'll test that out in the bar later...

CGN likes this.