What's up with my masking tape ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jan 11, 2016.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    Needed some masking tape at the weekend, keep all my decorating "stuff" in a couple of plastic storage boxes in garage
    Several rolls all started, various widths but not a single roll would unwind more than a few inches before tearing across its width into useless short lengths

Tried gently pulling the tape, pulling bit by bit, throwing the roll across the garage, allowing to warm in the house, but nothing helped, every roll useless

Remember this happening before with the odd roll but what causes it I wonder ? Any thoughts guys ? :(

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Cold and brittle.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Throw it in the bin

CGN likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Heat it up properly by holding over the cooker ring or summat. Re-activate the gum.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You may be able to save it Dave, but doubtful. Bin it like Tore suggests and save yourself the frustration.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apologies chaps re. the above suggestions ..... I forgot to say thanks (which is unusual for me) ;)

I guessed the cold weather and the tape being a bit old had caused the problem

Prize goes to Kiab for the microwave tip .....15 seconds and it really does work :D

As the guy in the video says, that saved me 5 dollars a roll ! Cheers guys

CGN likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops::oops:

Been using that tip 25 years plus.:eek:

CGN likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Well done Kiab...you learn something new everyday and of course every mickle makes a muckle! :p

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And spookily enough, I just needed some masking tape for a bit of painting im doing. Popped into the garage to get some, started to peel it off the roll and of course it came off in bits. 15 sec in the shitowave and good as new!

12. rimce44

rimce44 New Member

I found it too, that old masking tape would go spiting like that. Newer tried warming it up though. Would be interesting to try this next when painting offices in London.

13. macs3

macs3 New Member

Great idea to pop masking tape in microwave