When to use SP or DP Switched Sockets?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Poucha, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Poucha

Poucha Member

I'm looking to completely change out all my switches/sockets for nice new ones so I want to understand whether there are any circumstances where you actually need double pole.

I understand what SP and DP mean but haven't been able to find any guide or rule which says when you should use each type. Some people say DP is "better" or safer but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that (and apparently DP can sometimes cause RCD trips).
    It's not just about the cost - I don't mind spending more if there's a good reason for it.

...so intelligent answers/advice please!... and yes, I know I should employ a qualified electrician for some circuits :)

2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

If you have a neutral/earth fault in an appliance causing the RCD to operate, and you simply disconnect the phase conductor by switching the socket off trying to locate the problem, then you have left the fault in circuit.

Geeeham likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I can't think of any particular case where DP switching of sockets is needed especially in the domestic environment.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The only dp isolator I know of that has to be there is the one in the cu, I think even then it's only so the install can be tested. Not 100% sure tbh. Maybe one needed for motor ctts, eg fans?

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It's not only so it can be tested. It is the emergency switching for the installation, which in a domestic premises requires all live conductors to be broken.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

All sockets are double pole just unplug them !!

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Haven't read all the other replies dude but double pole completely isolates the load from the circuit whereas single pole is more of a functional thing. BS7671 requires that only the live is switched in a circuit if its single pole else both live and neutral if double pole. Its just an added belt and braces point of isolation.

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Pull the plug, best isolation you can get

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

In fact, there is no requirement to have a switch at all on a socket, its something that has crept in over the years and people think it is now compulsory. Unswitched sockets are still available, still fully compliant with Regs and still covered by a BS. You won't get decorative unswitched sockets but there is really no need for dp switched sockets. The best idea is, like Si-fi said, pull the plug out and the load is disconnected. Simples. It is a functional convenience to be able to switch off a socket and leave the plug in. That's all.

10. Owain

Owain Member

You must use a DP switched socket or an unswitched socket for the supply to a central heating boiler, this is so it is isolated when the switch is off, as plumbers can't be relied upon to unplug the plug.

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You can.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well whoopee.

13. sparky Si-Fi

See 537.3.25

and

No reference to DP switching whatsover

14. sparky Si-Fi

How many times have you turned up on an IR test and the person says " I have turned everything off so you should be fine"

Tell them to pull the plugs out the wall and watch them frown!

They just don't get it

15. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Get some new sockets stick em on make sure the connections are sound job done. If you are not confident get a competent person in, job done................................. or read the post after post after post ............

16. Ian beadnall

Ian beadnall New Member

So a bit of a follow up, I'm buying the sockets etc for my electrician to fit in our new coffee shop....he tends to go a little off piste when it comes to choices of personal taste.
    I understand I think about the double pole being another level of safety. We were going to fit the 2G sockets with 2 USB plugs, these don't seem to be available in DP. Any reason for this?

Also can someone confirm any situation why it would matter to me personally or any of my customers in the coffee shop whether the sockets were SP or DP.

Thanks a lot! Best answer gets a free coffee....must be able to collect in person!

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would be more worried about rcd protection than sp v's dp.

18. Ian beadnall

Ian beadnall New Member

Yep, thats been done cheers, any chance you could reply to the actual post now? ;-)

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

MK sockets with USB outlets are DP, for one. I guess other manufacturers who use SP sockets are just trying to shave pennies off the build cost.

In non-TN-S or TN-C-S systems (537.2.1.1) (ie TT or IT sytems) a switch for isolation has to be double pole (537.2.21). If the isolator for a piece of equipment is a switch in a 13A socket, it should be DP. (Table 53.4 - 13A plug & socket as isolator)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  20. Ian beadnall

Ian beadnall New Member

Cheers for that Stateit, so screwfix are doing 2 for £18 SP, whereas MK's are £25 each. I can't justify that and don't really see how there could could be a problem with customers just plugging in, using an then leaving. All our sockets that are in permanent use for say, till and grinders smoothie makers will be DP.

Am I missing something tho?