Where can I find matching plinth replacement

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by wingit, Nov 11, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

This is a follow-on to the Miele dishwasher query. One way or the other I now have the opportunity to replace a 5 cupboard width stretch of plinth that has become very discoloured being partly beneath a dishwasher. I have attached two pictures of the kitchen cupboards. I think this is a fairly common type. The plinths are made of MDF with some type of veneer/covering the surface of which has blistered and although looks ok in the photo does not look it to the eye.

Any ideas on where I could source some of the plinth type material which I would then cut to size?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

Looks to me that the existing plinths are Maple.

If you do a general ebay / internet search for 'Maple Plinth' you will come up with various suppliers. Some of these will be veneer, others vinyl or even solid but the descriptions should make it clear which it is.

It is unlikely to be finished so you will have to do that after cutting but before final fit. I couple of coats of natural Danish Oil should be the job though you will find that the colour will be a pretty approximate match. Maple will change colour over time when it is exposed to light and air. Generally, it will go darker so don't worry if the colour is not a good match at first.

3. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

In case you're still looking, you could try Wickes - they have some "take-away" kitchens and probably stock a similar finish MFC plinth you could look at in the store before you buy.