Where can I get a router like this one?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by pheckyl, Oct 31, 2011.

1. pheckyl

pheckyl New Member

I'm refurbishing sash windows. I want to get a router like the one in the picture to make the slots for pile carriers. Can someone advise make / model?

Attached Files:

2. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    thats not a router! its some kind of adapted 5 in angle grinder thing, there are several types of tool that use a grinder base unit for its design, often used for slot cutting, or biscuit jointers. i would suggest looking at either trend or freud specalist tools they tend to use aeg for their power tools just rebranded ,but thats not a rule, if no luck try another companys called flex, berner, wurth, or even perhaps kress. mostly german power tool companys, in addition i picked up a leaflet from festool the other day and they have a tool called 'domino' that is a jointing system, and there is a new model that looks like it will do that job too (probably pricey though) good luck ps, handy andy did you do the skirting boards in that photo?? ha ha :)

3. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

Sheez that looks like some kind of monster which eats sashes and farts them back in your face!

My general purpose router is a Hitachi and its a decent piece of kit. a half incher and powerful enough for worktops.
    The Hitachi has a great change system, whereas the De Walt was a pig to change.

I do sashes and do them with the Hitachi which balances nicely on the sash.  But have also done them with a Makita trimmer router.

The trimmer router works well, but you always need a new blade, otherwise you will burn out soon.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Would a biscuit jointer do that job ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

most biscuit jointers don't have fully adjustable depth settings. the pile carriers are 3mm deep, and most **'s start beyond that for depth. Also a router can get onto the meeting rails with some tidying up after, whereas a ** might be able to do some sections but not all the length.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you would also need several passes as the only cut around 4mm wide

7. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    so i take it that no, a ** won't do the job? perhaps thats because its a biscuit jointer and not designed for anything else?