Where has all the water gone?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by wingit, Nov 5, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

A water engineer replaced the water meter at a neighbour's house a while ago. We're in a close of 4 houses and as the meters are all in a line he shut each one down and confirmed which meter was for which house. After he was finished he told me that my meter was continually ticking over. He came in and shut the main stop cock and sure enough it stopped ticking round .. so the water is in the house somewhere. There are no damp patches or smells. No overflows are dripping and toilet internal overflows are not showing. The central heating is a pressurised system which is stable so not leaking into there.

Any typical things I've missed? Anyone tackled this type of thing with unexpected answers?

Any avenues appreciated!!

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could it be a WC with built in overflow?, the excess water will run back down the pan, or alternatively lift the cistern lids to check the water level.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Outside tap? Shower letting by?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do a test at night time, record the readings and shut off the stop tap. In the morning check the measurements and see how much liters or m3 have been used. then report your findings on here.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

wingit said it stops when the stopcock is off.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ok,

How much water are we talking in 1/2 hour of non usage?

We had a problem with our meter due to high water usage, and it had been replaced.

Could be worth calling out the water board.

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

It was the water board that showed him the problem

8. Process of elimination, shooorly?

There is a leak. It's in his house.

So it's:
    1) Loos (tho' he said he checked)
    2) Showers and other taps inside the house.
    3) Outside tap
    4) Faulty CH system (but it doesn't appear to be)
    5) Washing machine/dishwasher letting by
    6) Your water supply is being tapped off by a neighb...
    7) You have a leak under your house :(

Do you have a cavity under your floor?

FatHands likes this.
  9. wingit

wingit Member

I will check the actual usage overnight (I don't know why I haven't done this already!?).

We use the dishwasher and washing machine practically every day .. but I suppose if these were leaking in then we wouldn't be losing the water .. it would be used in each wash? There's a samsung fridge with water dispenser and ice tray .. there isn't a lot of water in unexpected places.

The house construction is with a suspended floor .. so I assume that's a concrete floor with a gap underneath ..I'll check around the outer walls for any dampness. If it is leaking into space below the floor how would I know?

Thanks for all suggestions .. I'll work them through.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are you saying that you and your neighbour didn't know which meter was for which house???, how do you pay your water bills.

Anyhow to the problem, reading your post it sounds like you have a mains stop valve within your property and when switched off the meter stops ticking, this eliminates a leak between the the two.

From the stop valve the pipe work should go up to the upper floor level or even the loft space without going back under the lower floor level, if this is the case, the leak would be easy to find/see due to damp/wet areas, the only pipes that should be under the lower floor level would be C/H pipes, you can isolate this be switch off the C/H so the pump is not pumping.

FatHands likes this.
  11. wingit

wingit Member

Thanks Paver .. there are 4 houses in the close and the meters at the end of the drive are in no sensible order at all .. who ever looks at their water meter normally? A person occasionally turns up for a reading and that's the end of it.

All pipework being above floor level after the main stop cock is sense. With pressurised central heating system we can't have a leak there as the pressure is stable. I'll find out how much we're losing and see how big the "pool" should be.