Where on earth is this brown water coming from?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jamson, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jamson

Jamson New Member

First up. I'm not a full time plumber. I'm doing a bathroom refurb in my own house. Mostly at weekends because of work and family stuff. Now here's my dilemma and if anyone can spare the time to read my story and advise me, I'd appreciate it.

So, I'm fitting wall mounted taps on the wall, a waterfall mixer above the bath.

Before I put in the new bath I tapped into existing hot and cold that runs in 15mm plastic behind the bath and upstairs to the loft conversion.

Then for each service, hot and cold, I went from 15mm plastic to a 15/22 reducer and connected a section of 22mm, connected to 90 degree bends and took a short length of copper up to a wall mounted backplate elbow with 3/4 inch female thread. I sleeved the pipework with that furry stuff and cemented it in after making sure it was sound. I then tiled over it so the outlets were flush and plugged it off till the taps got delivered to the plumbers merchant.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I put the bath in tiled right up to the edge and took the taps out of the box. Unfortunately, I'd made an assumption that the tap connection would be 3/4 but unfortunately they were 1/2inch.

I then had the problem of how to reduce and keep the outlets flush with the tiles. The problem with a normal bush was the fact that the lip that you'd fit the spanner too would be proud of the tiles. I didn't fancy ripping the bath out and chopping out the wall. Then I found reducing bushes on eBay and thought my problem was solved. I then fitted my taps and wifey was happy.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Then...after a couple of days of use, the family complained of brown water coming from the taps. It was only when it was being used for the first time in the morning or evening and was a small amount before running clear. There's been no work in the street and no brown water from any other taps so I'm thinking "What the hell?"

So I Google it, as you do, and can find nothing that seems relevant. Then I'm speaking to a pal a few days later and he says, were the bushes you put in brass?

"DOH!" I'd bought the first thing I found after searching something like "lipless bush" trying not to get distracted by some of the "interesting" pictures such a search produced, lol. Anyway the bushes are not brass and when I went back to have a look what I'd bought on eBay it says "for use with Gas". In my excitement of finding them I didn't really notice or think about that. Along with my lack of experience I'd made another boo-boo: the bushes were obviously rusting.
    image.jpg

Then I had the problem of getting them out, I did a post yesterday asking for advice on removing the bushes and tried the solution of super gluing in plugs, waiting and trying to undo the plugs, hoping the glue held and plug and bush together would come out.

It didn't work so I decided to bite the bullet, remove a tile, chop into wall and replace with a new backplate and BRASS bush.

image.jpg
    I did this yesterday and cemented it in this morning before I went to football with my son.

So.... here we go...I just came home, turned on the temporary bib tap and THE WATER WAS BROWN!

image.jpg
    Please...Anyone got any idea why the brown water is back?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only on the cold supply,is it all the taps, or only the bathroom one.

If all taps, can be many things to cause it,could be you incoming mains is a iron pipe & a increase in mains pressure, has dislodge the corrosion & rust that can build up in them.

3. Jamson, first of all - you are a bludy hero tackling all that on yer own and sorting out these issues with such determination :).

Secondly, the cause of that brown water? Well it's...um...er...I dunno... :oops:

If you have removed the only 'rustable' fitting in the system, then you've done all you can I reckon. The cause must surely be something quite independent of your recent work?

Jamson likes this.
  4. Jamson

Jamson New Member

Hi Kiab
    It's on both supplies. It doesn't come out of the taps anywhere else in the house. The supplies go up to the loft conversion with no problem and before the bath I've since put in a basin and the problem isn't there

5. Jamson

Jamson New Member

It's a head scratcher. There's no iron anywhere in the house. The stopcock is under the first floorboard as you walk through the door and the run from there is all copper. The patch from that stopcock to the street stopcock is plastic, it was originally lead but stripped out 14 years ago when we moved in

6. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Just out of interest, have you let the water run for a while incase you may have got something in the pipework?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'll second that, let it run for a while.

Exactly how brown is this water, I've seen water from slightly brown through to very dark brown.
    Could it be what you used to seal the bushes causing the discolouration?
    Bathroom is on the first floor I presume & why stopcock under the floorboard in what room, is it the main stopcock for all the house?

8. Jamson

Jamson New Member

Yeah, we were all having baths for about a month before I realised the problem wasn't going away. It's when you first turn the water on, then runs clear after about a cup full

9. Jamson

Jamson New Member

It's brown enuff to show up against the white of the bath and not nearly as dark as black tea. More like a lighter ice tea maybe

I used loctite 55 on the bush threads. As the bush didn't go all the way into the backplate, I used a little fernox Ls-x inside the bush. I Googled both of these to see if they turn water brown and nothing came up

10. Cheap 'Chinese' tap with a ferrous inside part?

Unlikely, tho'...

11. Jamson

Jamson New Member

The stopcock for the incoming main is under the first floorboard as you step into the threshold. It's feeding the cold supply to the whole house. The hot comes off of a combi boiler. Both hot and cold supplies are affected. No other taps in the house are getting this problem

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with Loctite 55, can rule that out.

Both hot and cold supplies are affected:confused: I'll just get my deerstalker & calabash & have a think, as I'm stumped.

Can only be the taps, unless you have some hidden iron pipe work.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  13. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Thought that, but he's used a garden tap as a temporary measure and it's still coming out Brown...Any dead legs near by
    B J

14. Jamson

Jamson New Member

The taps are by Flova. They certainly wasn't cheap (for us anyway) here's an installation video of our tap. It shows the cylinder-type connections that go into the bush. They're definitely brass http://www.flova.co.uk/videos/# it's the wall mounted mixer video...second row down, first on left

15. Jamson

Jamson New Member

No dead legs as far as I know.

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Surely there's the clue, it can only be very local, ie the taps, or something in the very near vacinity.

17. Jamson

Jamson New Member

I
    its got to be local yeah, as it's straight after turning on the taps.
    I'll try and shoot a vid and/or take pictures in the morning. That's when it happens. It's the water resting in the new sections, it has to be

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fill a glass with the coloured water & post.

Has to be iron particles present from somewhere.

Has to be from outside your house, it's the only way you get it on hot water side is from the rising main feeding the boiler.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How long does it take for the brown water to come it of the tape once turned on, this timescale should help pin point the cause, the time lapse equals distance from the taps the cause of the Browning is.

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Forget the above, you've answered it above. Lol.

Jamson likes this.