Where should the gas pipe earth bonding connect to?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Er yeh, the whole house will be rewired, by me with my cousin's input and testing. I have a degree in electrical engineering to at least know the basics. Well, enough not to get myself killed.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Here's the existing 6 way CU, The one to the left is disconnected I believe it used to power 3 electric heaters of some sort via 15A fuses.

2016-07-11 15.20.14 - Copy.jpg

3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

4. leesparkykent

looks like a nice job, plenty of slack on cables etc. You have a TNS earthing arrangement. 10mm bond to garage and 10mm to point of entry on house jobs a goodun.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes I think so Lee, and another 10mm to the incoming mains thats in the kitchen next door.

leesparkykent likes this.
  6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Another reason to prove Part P is working a treat!

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It's not always necessary to upgrade bonding to 10mm2 on a CU replacement. If the DNO supply is being upgraded, it is necessary. Otherwise, an old 6mm is more than likely adequate.

See page 5 of this "Electrical Safety First" Best Practice Guide: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100126672/Best-Practice-Guide-6.pdf

There's no requirement to upgrade bonding on older installations other than for ESQCR requirements (The Law) , which override the BS7671 (Guidance), and that is for when the DNO supply is upgraded.

If in doubt over safety ensure the adiabatic equation is satisfied for older and smaller equipotential bonding conductors . I've not come across a case where it isn't.

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Can't seem to edit my above post...

To add to my post: Obviously if a gas meter is being moved, the pipework will require bonding to current regs.

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Looks like meter been tampered with no seal on it

10. leesparkykent

You don't size bonding using the adiabatic equation.......you can use it to size the main earthing conductor. Except where PME conditions apply you can use the required size of the main earthing conductor to determine the bonding conductor CSA which does not need to exceed 25mm if the conductor is copper or a CSA offering equivalent conductance in other metals.

Where PME conditions apply the CSA of the bonding conductor needs to be selected in accordance with the neutral conductor of the supply (the DNO's not the tails size) and table 54.8 .

35mm or less -10mm
    over 35mm up to 50mm- 16mm
    over 50mm up to 95mm-25mm
    over 95mm up to 150mm-35mm
    over 150mm-50mm

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Looks like the tails for that second c/u have been stuffed in with the others, why the hell didn't they put them into the Henley block as there's one there!

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Is it me or is main earth missing can't see it

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

That's for new installs. Not just a CU change.

For older installs:
    From my link posted above, 6.1 Note 3, endorsed by BEAMA, British Gas, BSI, Bechmark Certification, C&G, ECA, ELECSA, IET, NAPIT, Micropower Council, SELECT, SCEME.

Point noted about adiabatic equation.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just had the CU replaced and you were right! There was no earth bonding, the old CU earth was connected to the mains water pipe (ie earth bonding) but that was it...when my cousin did the earth test back to sub station thingy it pulled all of 6 amps. It now pulls over 600 amps as it should.

2016-10-18 14.44.25 - Copy.jpg

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not much pride taken in the presentation of those cables! Makes you wonder how much pride was taken inside the CU! The old install was neater!

16. Have to agree with Lectrician the old install was neater.
    What is it with the new white cable to the left hanging all over the place? and why keep the Henley block when it is not required.
    All in all a bit rough.

Gannet likes this.
  17. Meant hanging to the right.

18. sparky Si-Fi

Nice 'Safety electrical connection-Don not remove' label in situ.

Screams DIY IMO

No Periodic label either. . .satisfies my opinion even more

Any chance of a copy of the test results please? :rolleyes:

19. sparky Si-Fi

Easy way of not cutting those seals. .? ;)

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Would love to see inside!