Where should the gas pipe earth bonding connect to?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Aug 18, 2016.

1. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Rats nest I reckon

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I would be concerned about that. The reason that the EFLI (Ze) has gone up is because he has tested it with the earth bonds in place. He should have tested the Ze with no other earths connected. If your installation has a Ze of only 6amp then you need to speak to the electricity supplier about their earth.

The way things are, you are relying on spurious earths from the water and gas supplies to provide the safety fault path, and that is not a good thing.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

James would be the best person to ask

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Hmmm.
    Since when has there been a requirement for 10mm on TN-S?
    What material is the white pipe feeding the gas meter?
    The Henly blocks were most likely used because originally there would have been two supplies, off peak and normal.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies although not sure what to make of the "it looks like a mess" comments. It looks like a mess for a reason - all the grey wires are the original old wiring and are not long enough to be routed neatly. Some of the neutrals were extended inside the CU but we were able to keep the live wires direct to the MCBs. The white wire to the right is the new first floor lighting wire, routed where I can take it for now - temporarily - and this wire with all the others will be replaced and rerouted properly in due course. Its white as I had some of this old red/black cable in stock (same for the white vertical wire that feeds a double socket). Once everything is replaced I will have a chance to make sure everything is neat and tidy and not looking like a "rats nest".

@Bazza - the pull of 6 amps was taken on the old setup, the +600 amps test was taken direct from below the 100A fuse box for earth and positive tail without anything else being connected, so he did test the Ze without any other earths connected. The metal chocolate block then connects this "incoming" earth to the CU, water and gas pipes.

@spinlondon - the white pipe feeding the gas meter is a silver steel pipe, its just got some white plastic sleeving over it. And yes there were two supplies previously, a second 3 fuse CU fed some kind of electrical heating circuit. No good reason to remove the Henley block and its easier connecting up the new CU with it in place. Saves breaking the 100A fuse seal.

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Is there as reason why did you not just move the CU up to the level of the cables?

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes, it would have blocked access to these wires and conduit which may be needed when I come to rewire. I don't know where the other ends of the conduit goes exactly and it may be I can reuse them and pull new wires through.

8. BattyMatty

BattyMatty New Member

Looking for a bit of help on something similar please. Have a gas meter out the front of the house, but the CU is under the stairs with no easy way to run a cable to it without ripping up floor boards and carpet etc. I've seen it mentioned a few times that binding the gas near the boiler maybe something I could do? Is this right?

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You would be better starting a new thread rather than letting people read a 7 year old one to get to your question.

BattyMatty likes this.
  10. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

No, it is wrong. You are trying to create an equipotential zone within the house. The earth must be connected as close as possible to where the pipe enters, on the outgoing side of the meter.

BattyMatty likes this.
  11. BattyMatty

BattyMatty New Member

Then what about running the cable from the meter, up the side of the house and through the attic, then down into the cupboard where there CU is. We haven't long decorated see and I don't fancy ripping things up again

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Suitably protected, yes. See OSG for cable sizes.

PS, I agree with the other Bazza:

BattyMatty likes this.